Close

Ridged prints from Prusa I3

Howdy all - I'm hoping you can help me out. I finally have my Prusa I3 printing, but the second and subsequent layers seem to have ridges and smear into the lower printed levels. I have attached a few prints to show what is happening. I'm not sure what is causing the issue - am I not raising the nozzle far enough after each print? If so, I'm not sure what I need to do to make the modifications.

I am using Repetier-Host and Slic3r to print and slice, respectively. I am printing using 1.75mm ABS. My print board is RAMBo 1.3.

Hopefully the guru's of wisdom can help point me in the right direction. Thanks all!

20151006_173528[1].jpg20151006_173541[1].jpg

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    JFCooper3,

It looks to me like you are overextruding.

This might not be evident on layer one if the Z zero is a little lower than it should be - the extra flow will cancel out the extra space, but as you go up in layers there is not room for all the material, so it builds up along the sides of the travel of the head.

Davo

Follow Bobby Lin On Twitter Add Bobby Lin on Facebook Add Bobby Lin on Google+
    Hi! It seems like this is an extrusion problem. Try to troubleshoot it with these tips:

• Check the gears If that is the case check the extruder pinion and make sure the gear and pinion are not stripped. If the pinion is spinning independently of the motor there is a problem.
    • check the motor driver make sure the motor driver is turned up high enough to extruder the plastic
    • check the filament make sure you check to make sure the hobbed bolt is not running in a divot. Also make sure you are using good filament
    • check heating 180 , depending on the material, may not be high enough. you may want to go ahead and check some higher temps.
    • lastly if none of these were the issue take the nozzle appart and clean it.

Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post
    JFCooper3,

It looks to me like you are overextruding.

This might not be evident on layer one if the Z zero is a little lower than it should be - the extra flow will cancel out the extra space, but as you go up in layers there is not room for all the material, so it builds up along the sides of the travel of the head.

Davo

Davo,

Thanks for the feedback - I am aligning the nozzle one sheet of paper width from the print plate. Is that too little? Should I use the thickness of something like a business card instead?

Or is your comment on Z zero referring to the vertical movement between each print?

Thanks,

John