Close

Thread: Big and Little

Big and Little

This is the largest part (Big) I have printed so far.

1.jpg

It is a little more than 200 mm high and used about half a reel of PLA filament. I designed the part and have tried to print it several times, but up to now I have only been able to print small versions of it because the slicers I've used would not slice the full size part. Yesterday I purchased the Simply3D slicer and it allowed me to print the full size part successfully.

This is a smaller version (Little) I printed a few days ago. I used Kisslicer to prepare the GCode for printing.

2.jpg

This photo shows Big on the printer at about 92% complete after 19 hours of printing. The complete print time was 20 hours 10 minutes.

3.jpg

Here is the part's 2-layer design; it is hard to see the infill that is about 15%.

4.jpg

Here are Big & Little together. After looking at the tool path for Big I decided to change the design a bit; Big has fewer ribs than Little to make the hills and valleys more evenly spaced, and there a a bit more twist at the top which gives the part a more consistent look.

5.jpg

Based on this result I'd say the combination of the Atom2 printer and the Simplify3D slicer makes one of the best 3D printing solutions available today.

Not bad. How many shells did you put there ?
    Is it for toughness or watertightness ?

Each of the 2 shells is 3 loops. I made it double-walled for overall strength.