Close

3D printing on Mac OS X

Can anybody recommend a good 3D printer for a beginner in the sub $700 (tops: $1500) category that will work out of the box with Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite?

I have been checking out these two:

http://www.amazon.com/CEL-RBX01-Prin...keywords=robox
    http://www.amazon.com/XYZprinting-Vi...chi+3d+printer

Anybody used either of them?

Other recommendations would of course be welcome.
    Last edited by kristjanr; 08-24-2015 at 09:45 AM.

I think most rep rap are compatible (at least the Marlin type firmwares), the main issue is the software to control them.

I know Simplify 3D is compatible MAC and you have a list of the printers the soft supports.
    https://www.simplify3d.com/software/supported-printers/

I think that most printers supported by S3D are also usable for free with Cura.

But, in the end, if you have a lcd control, you can put the gcode on an sd card and choose whatever slicer works on mac.

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    I think most rep rap are compatible (at least the Marlin type firmwares), the main issue is the software to control them.

I know Simplify 3D is compatible MAC and you have a list of the printers the soft supports.
    https://www.simplify3d.com/software/supported-printers/

I think that most printers supported by S3D are also usable for free with Cura.

But, in the end, if you have a lcd control, you can put the gcode on an sd card and choose whatever slicer works on mac.
    First off, thanks for that reply. I'm a complete NOOB so do I understand correctly that those S3D and Cura programs just eat STL files which I can create with any CAD program and feed the slices to the printer?

Second, the more I read abut these printers the more confused I get about firmware. Let's say that I buy one of the printers on that list (I took a look at the Velleman K8200/K8400 for example) would that printer be plug-and-play with either S3D or Cura or would I have to upload different custom firmware for each different programs I use?

Quote Originally Posted by kristjanr View Post
    First off, thanks for that reply. I'm a complete NOOB so do I understand correctly that those S3D and Cura programs just eat STL files which I can create with any CAD program and feed the slices to the printer?
    A slicer program cuts the STL file into layers to generate a gcode file (toolpaths and temperature control). Then you can either feed the gcode to the machine on a card or control the machine with something like repetier.
    S3D does the slicing and the control. I don't know cura, should be easy to check.

Quote Originally Posted by kristjanr View Post
    Second, the more I read abut these printers the more confused I get about firmware. Let's say that I buy one of the printers on that list (I took a look at the Velleman K8200/K8400 for example) would that printer be plug-and-play with either S3D or Cura or would I have to upload different custom firmware for each different programs I use?
    The firmware is what is in the controler in the printer and is specific to the printer due to its geometry and components. S3D, Cura, well -any slicer- can handle a variety of firmwares but not all of them, thus the compatibility list. Usually the OEM will tell you what is recommended with his machine. The rep rap firmwares have been used and personalized a lot by each OEM, but overall Marlin is frequent (I think), thus the large compatibility list for Cura and S3D.

Quote Originally Posted by LambdaFF View Post
    The firmware is what is in the controler in the printer and is specific to the printer due to its geometry and components. S3D, Cura, well -any slicer- can handle a variety of firmwares but not all of them, thus the compatibility list. Usually the OEM will tell you what is recommended with his machine. The rep rap firmwares have been used and personalized a lot by each OEM, but overall Marlin is frequent (I think), thus the large compatibility list for Cura and S3D.
    So S3D would work with whatever OEM firmware the K8200/8400 or whatever other printer in the compatibility list ships with?