Close

Feasibility of 3D Printed Pipe Fittings

I am working with a laboratory system that runs at a water pressure of ~40psi. We currently build the system using PVC parts, however there are no parts that fit the specifications we need, so we end up spending a lot of time hand-modifying the fittings.

I am curious how feasible it would be to print some of the fittings rather than modify existing PVC fittings. ABS and other plastics would also work for our application, so the material is not an issue. My primary question is if a 3D printed part could easily withstand 40psi? I would try to make the part as simple as possible to keep costs down, but don't want to start working on drawings before I get an idea of the relative strength of a printed part vs a molded part.

Any input appreciated!

Thanks,
    Josh

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    You absolutely can. However, you'll need some testing to determine how thick to make the walls and the best infill patterns and percentages. Also, some of your models will likely need a lot of support material.

Engineer
    Err, got to be more specific, you will need to show the picture of the pipe and the joint fitting you want to put.

It's like asking "Hey will a screw last in a 100 Tons application?" It's vague, out of nowhere, not enough detailed. And to be honest that should be the job for a consultant working in 3D printing field application.

Laboratory equipment is really expansive, and you don't want just to take 3D printing as the approach. A failure might cause the damage/lost. 40 PSI is a lot and depending on how big or small your future joint fitting is, it can just determine whether or not it is practical

3D printing may not be a direct approach to your solution, it might be a part of the fabrication process though (like use the 3D printing as a mold to cast high tensile and high impact resin)

Thank you for the responses. The part will have the same dimensions as 1/2" PVC (.602" ID .840" OD). Attached is a poorly drawn concept of what I would like to create.

We make these systems in batches of only 2-3, so making a mold would not make much sense from a cost perspective. The part is essentially a series of four PVC tees, however the tees are too long to create the spacing we require, and thus require modification before assembly. This process takes some time. I expect 3D printing to be more expensive from a materials perspective than what we are doing now, however it could save greatly on time and allow for more precision in the spacing than hand-fabricating existing PVC fittings.

Capture test part.jpg
    Last edited by JHutchinson; 08-20-2015 at 04:31 PM.

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    Again, you should only be concerned with distances and interior diameters. You might need to make this two or three times as thick to handle the pressure - only testing will tell.

And what will you use to bond the PVC to the ABS? Apparently, some codes prohibit using "Solvent-cement joints between different types of plastic pipe" - see http://www.inspectorsjournal.com/for...?TOPIC_ID=6428 and similar. Other sources say that a transition glue or cement is allowed - see http://www.oatey.com/products/plasti...n-green-cement . This probably varies based on application and jurisdiction.
    Last edited by Davo; 08-20-2015 at 04:15 PM.

Seeing your 4 head T model, I wonder : wouldn't be too hard to make a mold with 3D printing and cast it, would it ? The pressure resistance from a injection moulded / cast part would be without comparison with a 3D printed one.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    You mean.. like this? https://pvcfittings.com/graphics/manifold1.jpg

I betcha you can search around and find a manifold already made, or a place willing to custom make one.