Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First timer here.

Hi all,

Newbie here with 3d printing. Use to play around with 3dMax and always wish I could have a physical copy of my designs.

After a long time contemplating, I finally took the plunge and bought a creator pro. Kept on going back and forth between the creator and dreamer. I liked the idea having more flexibility with the software with the creator.

I'm reading through the sticky here to get some more education before it arrives. I just had a few questions to ask.

• I downloaded "the unofficial FFCX manual from 3duniverse. http://www.3duniverse.org/3D%20Unive...X%20Manual.pdf and was wondering if this is still good? Last updated 7/10/2014.
    • What brand of filament works good in this? What do you guys primary use. I still need to order that.
    • I sold this with my wife on the idea that my daughter can make her "fashion items." Is there any kid friendly design programs the we can use?
    • Any other setup tips?

I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get it up and running.

Thanks!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by mightybhwk View Post
    I downloaded "the unofficial FFCX manual from 3duniverse. http://www.3duniverse.org/3D%20Unive...X%20Manual.pdf and was wondering if this is still good? Last updated 7/10/2014.
    3D Universe's stuff is all good, and very helpful.

What brand of filament works good in this? What do you guys primary use. I still need to order that.
    I use Esun and some locally made stuff. Very happy with Esun but there are plenty others to choose from. Ultimately your print results will depend on your printer setup and calibration, rather than filament brand.

I sold this with my wife on the idea that my daughter can make her "fashion items." Is there any kid friendly design programs the we can use?
    How old is she? Not all kids 'get' CAD. However there are many sites where she can download models to print: Thingiverse, MyMiniFactory, Shapetizer, etc. Some models are free, some aren't.

Any other setup tips?
    - Read the Sailfish manual, paying particular attention to calibration (section 5).
    - Enclose your printer for ABS use.
    - Use a glass plate on your print bed
    - If using Makerware/Makerbot Desktop install Proftweak too to have a better overview of settings for custom profiles.
    - Visit the Flashforge Google Group. Lots of expertise there too.

Thanks a lot for all the info.

I bought some 3D Solutech black pla to try out. I'll look up the esun and try a roll of that.

My daughter's 12 and I found a program called tinkercad on 123d website. She's been having fun creating some things allready. I still have to read up on what to do next. There's even a app called tinkerplay that my 8 year old boy could make robots from. I'll will definitely check out those other sites. Thingiverse is what really got me thinking about 3d printing.

I was reading about the glass bed and can see how it would be good to get. Can you use regular glass or does it have to be borosilicate glass? I was going to check out a local glass shop.

I appreciate all the advice.

My daughter's 12 and I found a program called tinkercad on 123d website. She's been having fun creating some things allready. I still have to read up on what to do next. There's even a app called tinkerplay that my 8 year old boy could make robots from. I'll will definitely check out those other sites. Thingiverse is what really got me thinking about 3d printing.
    There are several free programs: TinkerCAD, 123D, DesignSpark, FreeCAD, Creo Elements... I can't tell you much about them unfortunately as I haven't tried them myself. I highly recommend the Cubify range of software. Ranging from $50 to $200 though.

I was reading about the glass bed and can see how it would be good to get. Can you use regular glass or does it have to be borosilicate glass? I was going to check out a local glass shop.
    Yeah your local glass shop is fine. I have been using the same two pieces of 4mm window glass for the last year now.

Thanks! I'll check out those other programs.

Also i noticed that the 3d universe guide is for the creative x. Is the pro much different?

Not much. The Pro has an updated mobo, front cover, hood and slightly larger Z screw. Check out the Flashforge Google Group for better info on the Pro.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Thanks a lot for all the info.

I bought some 3D Solutech black pla to try out. I'll look up the esun and try a roll of that.

I appreciate all the advice.
    esun pla is hands down the WORST filament I've ever used.
    Got two rolls with the klic-n-print machine. A white and a black.

The white is so brittle that it regularly breaks for no obvious reason midprint. The black is just poor. Almost impossible to get a clean print from it.

I've tried around a half dozen different manufacturers for bulk pla and a couple dozen more for exotic filaments and the esun is just all round the worst stuff I've got in my workshop.

The best filament I've used is the reprappertech ltd pla. Every roll has been easy to print, non-clog or break, and the single best reprapper coliour is the wood colour. It's a semitranslucent filament that will print ANTHING. Tougher than abs, looks good and I'm going to order another couple of rolls I think as I've just started the second.

Even the cheapest pla I could find on ebay is 10 times better than the esun.

maybe I got a couple of duff rolls - dunno. But I do know I'll never buy any more :-)

Cheers for the link for the manual - who knew such a thing existed :-)

I have never tried Esun's PLA, I should've mentioned that. I like their ABS though.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    They dio have a good name - but I can only go by what I've used.

Kindly, is there another link for this manual, as the file is deleted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast