Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can anyone slice this model?

Capture.JPG

Here is a link to the model's OBJ file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3E...ew?usp=sharing

The file is 40.55 MB in size. I made it with the Grasshopper parametric modeling add-on for Rhino3D. I have tried slicing it with several slicers and they all fail in one way or another. The slicer's I tried are Craftware, Kisslicer, and Cura. I posted the OBJ file because the STL version is 683.93 MB.

Netfabb reports no problems with the model. MeshMixer deletes everything except the bottom surface. Meshlab Decimation processes the file OK, but crashes when trying to save the results.

My systems is Win7-64 with 16GB RAM and an i7 CPU.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I'll give it a go :-)

Well simplify3d won't load it - gives the message: 'error parsing obj file: non numeric data detected at line 820'.

Can't slice what won't load.

Engineer
    I did not slice it for you, but I imported it into Zbrush and then exported with the 3D print exporter. I could not open your file in Simplify3D by default, error at line 820 or something. Here is the STL for you.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9k...ew?usp=sharing

Senior Engineer
    It doesn't fit on the bed in Cura so I reduced it to 80% rather than mess with my bed settings.

It slices fine but with a print time of 17 hours I aint about to print it. The gcode even at 80% is still over 70 Mbytes.

aardvark: Thanks for that info. I've been very wary of Simplify3D simply because there is no way to test it.

Bassna - thanks for the effort. I have not tried ZBrush before - but will check it out.

MJoliner - what slicer did you use? I've got several models similar to this that I'd love to slice but have been unable to.

The model does fit on my printer (it's a delta) and I have done a couple of prints that take 24 hours or so, so if I can slice it I;ll print it.
    Last edited by bbinnard; 07-12-2015 at 03:35 PM.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Hmm sounds like slicing isn't isn't the issue. You're simply generating dodgy obj files.

Okay this is weird. I got the can't load message from s3d - just went back to load bassna's stl - and it's got the original model loaded. Weird.

Pretty big, but fits in my build volume without a problem.

Took a couple of minutes to slice. Which tells you something as s3d usually slices most things in seconds.

Setting up the preview data is taking longer.

Ah okay - yeah stops slicing about a quaretr the way up that'd be that line 820.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-12-2015 at 03:43 PM.

Engineer
    bbinnard, as almost everyone around here will tell ya, Simplify3D is worth the price in how much time and effort it saves you. Also the file size of that STL I gave you was much smaller, and if you prefer I could get you the .OBJ which would be smaller if you needed.

Bassna - I appreciate your feedback and effort. I was able to slice the STL file you posted OK with Kisslicer. It says it will take 21 hrs. to print so I am going to start that now.

Up to now I've been using Craftware as my primary slicer because it has, in my opinion, the best user interface and provides the most detail about what the results of slicing actually are. Craftware has known errors which are supposedly being fixed in the next release so hopefully I will be able to slice my models when it comes out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast