Close

Technician

Looking for a good 3D printer with good support Im looking at the Robo3d and others

I like the fact Robo3d is open source and seems to have a good following or helpful people. I like their filaments they can use like the wood stuff
    and seems to use most anyones filament. I see a few new ones on Kitstarter but not sure if they will have all the bugs worked out on them for
    a while. I wish the Robo3d was a little larger build platform but might do for what Im plan to build some small speaker boxes.
    I wonder if I can build a hollow box rectangle or square and the walls will not warp. I plan to make them around 1/8" thick maybe 3/16.
    Ive been trying to figure out how much filament it would take to build one they say 1000 grams divided by the weight of item is one one.
    I wonder if the design or print software can figure that out for me so I know what it will cost to biuld a certain size object?

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    right - first thing you need to do is start thinking in millimetres :-)

Second download cura and load and slice some models to get a feel for how the whole process works. No printer needed.
    https://ultimaker.com/en/products/cura-software

If I'm making very strong walls for a box, I make them 2mm thick.
    The walls on this little gadget are 2mm
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJq_4QiewWw
    Pretty strong :-)
    Uses 7 grams of plastic to make.

So a hollow speaker cabinet with 2mm walls would not use much plastic at all.
    Also any 'solid' object you print - won't be. It'll have solid walls and a sponge like interior that makes it strong but usues very little plastic.

The robo3d looks like decent pirnter - can't think of any negative reviews.

they say 1000 grams divided by the weight of item is one one.
    that's just gibberish :-)
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 07-06-2015 at 04:07 PM.