Close

Student

Flashforge Creator Pro - adjusting Y Axis

New to 3D Printing got my Flashforge Creator Pro 2 weeks ago, having a great time learning how to use, just notice when printing the 20mm cube my micrometre shows the following measurements:
    X Axis: corner edge 19.77mm/middle edge 19.70mm/centre 19.57mm
    Y Axis: corner edge 19.57mm/middle edge 19.51mm/centre 19.43mm
    Z Axis: corner edge 20.04mm/middle edge 20.05mm/centre 20.02mm

I averaged out the above figures, it looks like the centre of the cube has caved in so I'm going to print using 100% solid and see if that will improve, however my X and Y axis looks like it requires adjusting, does anybody know how to go about adjusting these axis?

Much appreciate your help.

Calibrating the extruder involves tweaking the extrusion multiplier. Since all softwares handles this differently the first question would be which software are you using? Most like Makerware/Makerbot Desktop?

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    first question would be which software are you using? Most like Makerware/Makerbot Desktop?
    I'm using Simplify3D, thanks for the suggestion, I'll take a look at S3D and see how I can tweak it.

I don't use S3D myself but I do know that most people set their extrusion multiplier to less than one. It'll vary from machine/filament to machine/filament. With Makerware it is the other way around i.e. you need a value greater than 1.

Also don't forget to scale up your model if using ABS. Without knowing the specs of your filament a general rule of thumb shrinkage value for ABS is 0.7%.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian Finke View Post
    I don't use S3D myself but I do know that most people set their extrusion multiplier to less than one. It'll vary from machine/filament to machine/filament. With Makerware it is the other way around i.e. you need a value greater than 1.

Also don't forget to scale up your model if using ABS. Without knowing the specs of your filament a general rule of thumb shrinkage value for ABS is 0.7%.
    Ok many thanks for your advise, am using PLA average 1.79, will also keep it mind when I start playing with ABS.

Student
    Ok, by increasing the extrusion multiplier for PLA from 0.9 to 0.96 and ABS from 1.0 to 1.3 has solved my problem - 20mm cube is now printing 19.89mm to 20mm.

Quote Originally Posted by ejcruz View Post
    Ok, by increasing the extrusion multiplier for PLA from 0.9 to 0.96 and ABS from 1.0 to 1.3 has solved my problem - 20mm cube is now printing 19.89mm to 20mm.
    Be careful here. Are you adjusting for shrinkage? This is done by scaling the model by the shrinkage amount not by adjusting the extrusion multiplier. They are two complete separate issues.

Student
    I'm keeping an eye on it, at this stage I'm happy with the out come, I was more concern with my Y axis and these adjustments seems to have fixed the issue, I still have the option in S3D to "Horizontal size compensation" which will also fix the Y axis. Further these adjustments have not over applied the amount of PLA or ABS.