Close

Advice on Bed materials

I'm new to 3D printing and have my first printer coming tomorrow, a Duplicator I3

I was wondering what bed material should I be applying on the heated bed for the best results?

I will mainly be printing ABS as I need parts that can hold up at higher temperatures, but would also be interested in what to use for PLA too.

I've tried BuildTak and at least one other advanced printing surface and neither have been particularly great - BuildTak sticks entirely too well until it's had a chance to wear in and the other surface was made of a plastic that curled up as the print shrank, defeating the purpose of the bed in the first place.

What I've had most success with is just a simple borosilicate glass plate, simply covered with a layer of glue from a glue stick. I've found this absolutely perfect for PLA and if the print sticks too well, a few minutes in the freezer and it will come right off. The same setup also works for ABS, although using an ABS slurry instead of glue helps.