Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by rylangrayston View Post
    Thanks for finding that Pete, cant wait to see how the V1 + imporved calibration software will make this work even better.

@mike_biddell
    curing resin as a resist is a great idea, that way you dont have to pay extra for the UV sensitive boards.
    I hope someone trys it and if you do I would recommend trying a supper low shrinkage resin.
    Rylan

I'll be happy to give it a try, as an electronics enthusiast, I make a lot of boards. Will u be selling the resin?

Mike

Hello,
    Im thinking about mikes methode ...
    I never worked with 3d printable resin, so maybe its a dumb question.

But how will we get the resin off the copper after eching without hurting the board?
    Isnt it very sticky?

KR

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by sk1303 View Post
    Hello,
    Im thinking about mikes methode ...
    I never worked with 3d printable resin, so maybe its a dumb question.

But how will we get the resin off the copper after eching without hurting the board?
    Isnt it very sticky?

KR
    It certainly isn't a dumb question. I was just going to try various solvents until I found one which dissolved it..... maybe acetone. But maybe Rylan or one of the beta testers knows what dissolves it????

Quote Originally Posted by mike_biddell View Post
    It certainly isn't a dumb question. I was just going to try various solvents until I found one which dissolved it..... maybe acetone. But maybe Rylan or one of the beta testers knows what dissolves it????
    I think isopropyl works, I remember reading that's how you clean them off after using the form1.
    I'm guessing any alcohol will work.. Ethanol

Engineer-in-Training
    Thank you..... as a pcb enthusiast, it's the first thing I'll try when I get my Peachy. Photo board can be difficult to get the exposure right and is relatively expensive. This method (if it works) should work every time. Bit worried about how good the adhesion will be and therefore whether the etchant will go under the cured resin. I have iso-propyl in stock so will try that first :-)

I have to say, if it is effective, PCB production alone will be one major reason for buying a peachy.

Peachy Printer Founder
    will we sell a resin that will work for this?

Only time and experimentation will tell, and it is very likely that some other third party resin will work better.

as for how to get the resin off... after the etching is done, I think it might come off quite quickly with a scraper. Isopropyl dissolves uncured resin but not cured resin.
    perhaps eventually our flex resin could work for this, it might peal of like tape would.

Engineer-in-Training
    If it does work effectively.... I will have a massive grin :-)

Student
    You may not need to remove the resin , or at least not all of it. If it is thin enough maybe you can solder through it. If it would serve as a solder resist or at least as a sealer, maybe a Dremel tool with an end mill or something could be used to just remove it from the solder pads.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by benallgor View Post
    You may not need to remove the resin , or at least not all of it. If it is thin enough maybe you can solder through it. If it would serve as a solder resist or at least as a sealer, maybe a Dremel tool with an end mill or something could be used to just remove it from the solder pads.
    Great minds think alike.... I was thinking exactly that, just remove resin from the pads

Quote Originally Posted by mike_biddell View Post
    Great minds think alike.... I was thinking exactly that, just remove resin from the pads
    Even if you want to remove it from the entire board I'm sure it can't be too hard with the right solvent (dependent on the resin used). I know many plastics can be easily dissolved with acetone but have no idea if acetone will dissolve cured UV resin like those from MakerJuice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12