Close

Does an exclusive 3DP online R&D platform exist?

Hi all,

I was googling, but could not find an online platform exclusively involved in 3D printing R&D. There are IP platforms like ideaconnection.com, yet2.com etc.. But none of those platforms are only about 3DP.

I am looking for an online platform which brings together a 3DP technology demand (a product out of a certain material which wasn't printed before) and supply (a technology which could print that material). Does anybody know such an exclusive 3DP platform which unites 3DP expert wisdom?

Thank you in advance.

Regards,
    Philipp

Staff Engineer
    There are lots of sites which bring together people who have 3D models which have never been printed before and people with machines that are able to print them. Shapeways, Sculpteo, 3Dhubs, etc all do that.

If that's not what you're asking about, could you try again, being as clear as possible in describing what exactly you want?

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Thank you for your quick answer, Andrew!

Recently I have talked to an engineer who is into metal printing R&D. He told me that there is a lot of 3DP R&D out there (not only metal 3DP!), often done by pure researchers. The big issue is, that even more frequently, the final kick is missing to make a real application from the great R&D (= e. g. implementation as a new production line next to the long established traditional production technologies).

For instance, that above mentioned researcher has tried to print copper wire with enamel on it (enameled winding wire). He, as pure researcher, has reached his limits as he has no profound winding wire knowledge. He is looking for a company who has the traditional winding wire production technology which 1.) could provide him expert knowledge and 2.) which is open for his 3DP technology in order to further develop his R&D with the ultimate goal to install a 3DP winding wire productin line.

So, I am rather looking for a platform where 1.) 3DP R&D people can offer their technology which needs "finishing" and 2.) companies which are open for innovations provide their expert knowledge to come up with a real application for "3DP mass production" = small batch production. Not only prototypes!

I hope, I could explain what I am looking for. My "German English" sometimes confuses people :-)

Thanks again.

Staff Engineer
    Thanks for clarifying what you're looking for. No, I've never heard of a site like that, especially one that restricts itself to 3D printing technologies. Usually, research institutions have an office of technology transfer, which endeavors to license technological innovations to companies looking to commercialize them. But you might be interested in this site, which is trying to centralize some of that across NW Europe (although it's not just about 3D printing): http://www.karimnetwork.com/about/

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Andrew Werby