Close

Student
    Add roybfr on Thingiverse

Question for those with Bulldog and metal (hexagon or E3D) hotend

Working on installing my Bulldog Lite and have a few questions.

Are you using the PTFE tube? I have seen it both ways, not to hard to try it both ways as well just curious about users experience either way.

Where are you connecting the fan to your RAMPS, RUMBA or RAMBO? Just using the normal 12V out (D9 on RAMPS) so that it is on all the time? Also was the fan sufficent in keeping the cool end of the hot end cool for PLA?

Have you tried fitting another fan to cool the print or is the downward draft from the extruder fan enough?

Technician
    Are you using the PTFE tube? I have seen it both ways, not to hard to try it both ways as well just curious about users experience either way.

Where are you connecting the fan to your RAMPS, RUMBA or RAMBO? Just using the normal 12V out (D9 on RAMPS) so that it is on all the time? Also was the fan sufficent in keeping the cool end of the hot end cool for PLA?

Have you tried fitting another fan to cool the print or is the downward draft from the extruder fan enough?
    I have the Bulldog Lite driving an E3Dv6 1.75. I do use the PTFE tube. I didn't at first, but I believe that it is running better with it installed.

I am not using the fan base that came with the Bulldog. I installed the Bulldog on a custom carrier. You do have to run the fan on the E3D all the time, so it is plugged in accordingly. In fact, the E3D is so cool above the heat break that you can leave your finger on it. It the E3D fan fails, that falls apart quickly with a jamb sure to follow. You have to be careful with that little fan as it is easy to break.

I do run two fans to cool my prints. I am running PLA. My custom carrier has mounts for two fans (one on each side of the extruder) which I generally turn on when the second layer starts. Although it varies a bit depending on the PLA or part, I am running the E3D at about 210C and I run the print bed at 75C sometimes going to 70C with the second layer.

I am currently finishing up the build on a Makerfarm using a Bulldog XL with a 3mm E3Dv6. This has been a slow build as I am trying to make it really nice, using ideas from some others and a few of my own. It has also been slow because life has been getting in the way. I purchased all the parts in November last year.

The custom carriage I designed provides a mount for the Bulldog Lite, allows for mounting an ABL servo and the two print cooling fans. I have not tried the ABL, but intend to when I rebuild that printer. (The plan is to rebuild the first printer once the second one is up and running efficiently). The final design is still in flux, for both the Lite and XL, but I have been using the prototype carriage with the Bulldog Lite and E3D for about 8 months now.

So far, I am very happy with the combination (Bulldog and E3Dv6).

Student
    Have and pictures of your mount?

I got mine running tonight (Bulldog Lite and Hexagon) and so far all I have to say is WOW! Not sure I have ever seen anything come out of my J-Head/Gregs combo that ever looked this good, that could have been my fault... Either way I like mine so far.

Technician
    BullDogMount.jpg

This is a picture off the cad system. You will notice that the Bulldog lite installs with the hot end towards the front. The square hole in the back allows it to sit as far back as possible. My cooling fans are installed on each side. There is a hole for installing a servo for ABL on the left side. The E3Dv6 fan sits behind the E3D.

I have been using the prototype of this for a number of months now. I will print a final version once I am done with the printer #2 and install it when I rebuilt printer #1 which has been using the prototype.

The mount for the Bulldog XL is similar except that it sits sideways. I did not want to get too far extended from the rails with that much weight. I am still making some adjustments to that design. Mostly because I want to make removing the E3D as easy as possible without dismantling a bunch of stuff. That is easy with the BD Lite mount pictured. It got a little more complicated with the Bulldog XL sitting sideways. It remains to be tested to see how it will do.

Once I have everything running correctly, I am happy to post the stl files somewhere so that others can use them or, hopefully, improve them.

I think that you will be even happier with the E3Dv6 over the hexagon. I went through two hexagons in about 5 months. Many successful prints, but also periodically had difficulties. I have far fewer problems with the E3D running. That said, I have gained a lot of experience in the last year and it is clear to me that there are a lot of considerations from design to print settings in getting a good print. Sometimes you can make something work better by simply adjusting a few design parameters. Sometimes settings within the slicing operation can make or break a good print. And sometimes it is getting the hardware right and adjusted.

This forum is a great resource and there are others on here with great advice. They also raise the bar, which is one of the reasons my printer #2 is taking so long to build.

Student
    Nice like the incorporation of the slot for a servo for ABL.

I have a E3D Lite as well as the Hexagon. I had intended to use the E3D with the Bulldog but found I needed a different mount then the one that comes with the Bulldog so I just used the Hexagon as I had bought it a bit a go but never got around to installing it. I am in the process of buying another printer (not sure what yet) and will probably end up using the E3D Lite on that one or keeping it as a spare for when the hexagon not longer works.

Technician
    You can print a mount that will fit the E3D to the Bulldog.