Close

Bed Leveling Hardware

Is there anyplace that sells the bed leveling hardware? One of mine is slipping when you turn the wing nut and I can't seem to fix it. I can change the bed level by holding the wing nut and turning the top, with a 2mm hex bit, but that is a pain when trying to level glass. Any ideas for where to go to replace that piece?

Technician
    Add Nargg on Thingiverse
    You can get any replacement part from FlashForge. Not sure why it would slip though. You might try some simple things first, like a locking washer, or just making the face of the area where the wingnut sits a little tacky, like tape or glue or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Nargg View Post
    You can get any replacement part from FlashForge. Not sure why it would slip though. You might try some simple things first, like a locking washer, or just making the face of the area where the wingnut sits a little tacky, like tape or glue or something.
    Only thing I saw was the whole bed, which is a pricey fix

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Ya, you want to take the nuts all the way off and either replace with 3mm locknuts, or back them off a little and use some threadlock and crank back down. Should be an easy fix as long as the threads are still good.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    Here's everything I did to my build plate. It really helps to take the build plate all the way out for this.

• Take krapton off.

• On the 3 leveling screws take the wing nuts all the way off, this should allow the build plate to be lifted off. Watch out for the little springs they will go flying.
    • You will see way too long of screws being used at the corners and maybe in the middle. Grind those down or cut off. Loosen nuts and put a drop of thread lock in there then tighten back up. This keeps you from gouging your arm every time you stick your hand in there to level things or clean out the printer or whatever.
    • I had some silicon tubing laying around for glow fuel rc stuff. If you don't have any run to a hobby shop and grab a foot of it. You only need about 1.5" of it but they sell it by the foot... While you are there, maybe pick up a bag of RC shock pistons. They might have some old small 10mm ones that aren't used as much anymore. I had a bunch laying around so just used some of those.
    • What you want to do is preload the spring a little buy putting the spring on top of the 3mm spacers. I guess you could print some, but if you have the build plate out that would be kinda difficult. :-)
    • The silicon should be cut short, maybe 3/8" or a little longer. It serves 2 purposes, it will compress a little and act as a vibration damper. Also it keeps the spring better centered on the screw.
    • Once you have the leveling bolts all threadlocked and nuts tightened you can start reassembling.
    • It is better to do one leveling screw at a time because the spacers kind of like to be a pain to get all three lined up.
    • Do the front one first, lay a spacer on the platform, put the silicon on the screw and push it all the way up, then slide a spring on and insert the bolt into the platform. Tighten just a little with the wingnut.
    • Proceed to do the same to the other leveling adjusters.
    • You will want to tighten everything down quite a ways past where you think you should to be sure the nozzle wont hit the glass plate.
    • Heat the bed and level away.

Thanks jf, sounds like a winner.