Close

SketchUp - How to do Rounded Corner Edges

Hi There,

I'm trying to create a rounded corner edge in the attached document, connecting the right face to the bottom face by filling in that corner. Unfortunately, the follow-me too doesn't seem to work as I have other protrusions and faces at the other sides that conflicts. I've tried to find relevant youtube videos, etc but nothing seems to work in my figure without affecting other parts of the model. Does anyone have any luck with rounded corners other than follow-me or rebuilding the model from scratch? Perhaps a recommendation for an extension that would be able to do this?

Thanks In Advance
    Circular Arch.JPG

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Use the Fredo6 Round-Corner plugin. You'll have to start over with that design, as what you have won't work well with RC. But, all you'll have to do is make the shape in the dimensions you want, extrude it to 3d, and then apply round corner. There's some demos to watch out there, or you can ask here again, I'll be more than willing to help.

This: Hatch Block C.jpg

Turned into: Hatch Block C rounded.jpg

With only a couple clicks.

Thanks so much Marm (Also thank you for your help in my other thread/problem), but is there any way that I could do the rounded corners without redoing the entire model?

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Possibly, but once you see how it works, You might realize it may be less work to start from scratch. Then again, maybe not. In the picture provided, you could just extrude the square edges to your final dimensions, and then round them. Some parts may need reworking, some may not. It's a new tool to you, and there will be a learning curve.

Hmm, my laptop seems to be rendering the Library incorrectly. Would you be able to help? I have gone through some of the tutorials but they don't seem to select for my figure. I'm specifically looking the round just the corners of a 3 in by 3 in rectangular prism that is 1 mm in height

Capture.jpg

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Well first off, mixing English and metric is just bad karma.

I'm still using SU2014 as I've heard the '15 version has plugin issues. That may be it.

And then, I must ask, why you would want rounded corners that are 1mm thick? I know my printer wouldn't be able to handle resolution that small. And unless your making precision aeronautical or surgical equipment, you don't need to round those corners. The extruded filament will probably round that corner enough on it's own.

Yeahh...I know its bad practice to mix Metric and Customary systems but unfortunately those were the project specs I was given.. =/

I did not know that about 2015 hmmm

Can I ask what printer you have? We were thinking of getting the M3D or the Printrbot but not sure if those two will be able to print that rounding. The precision is needed for a specific crevice in the a computer contraption

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I use a Davinci 1.0. Don't get one if you're even semi familiar with printers.

Honestly, get the plugin to work, it's one of the best I've found, of all plugins. The other is CADspan. I have never found a need for their cloud based services, if Solid Inspector (That may be a plug in too, can't remember now) says an object is manifold, then Cadspan's local converter will spit out a good STL. Then round your corners. You'll have to adjust the offsets to line up correctly. Too little and it will leave a flat spot, too much and it will create a bunch of crazy faces as it tries to create multiple rounded corners in the same space. Think a tesseract, but less cool.

Try to print the rounded corners. Even if your printer won't get it just right, something this precise will need finishing work anyways, so a bit of sanding will round them out nicely.