Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Build Your Own Vextor 3 3D Printer in 90 Weekly Installments

You can build your own affordable, high-quality 3D printer at home over 90 weeks. UK publisher Eaglemoss Collections has joined forces with Sebastian Conran, an internationally recognized designer and innovator, to create the Vector 3, the world’s first non-industrial 3D printer with a safety hood. Subscribing to 3D Create & Print for £6.99 per week ($11.00 USD) gets you a weekly publication, six free gifts with your initial subscription, and weekly components for your 3D printer. Check out further details in the full article: http://3dprint.com/25549/build-your-own-3d-printer/

Below is a look at the step-by-step guide to creating a Vector 3:

Engineer-in-Training
    I like this. It takes away the sting of buying a prefab machine by spreading the cost out over a (long) period of time, and at the same time, removes the knowledge barrier inherent to building your own. Not to mention that you actually learn something from the process rather than buying a machine and knowing nothing or very little about it (like me). at 11 bucks per week for 90 weeks the total cost is still $1k which puts it in similar territory to a lot of prefab models but again, there isn't that huge initial outlay and you get to learn along the way. Plus there's the added benefit (if you choose to look at it this way) of coming home every week to your next batch of parts to work on. For someone like me with kids/dogs/etc. big projects are tough because you never have enough time in a given day to just bang it out so it's a lot of stop of go. This gives you small, easily managed bits to work on over time without feeling like you're leaving things unfinished.

Student
    This is a bad idea.

Who want to spend little over a year to build a 3D printer when a kit like the Printrbot Makers Edition is put together in a few hours to a couple of days.

Saving the money in the same pace as the subscription would give you a 3D printer, for example the PrintrBot Makers Edition in one third the time at one third the cost.

All necessary information is available online.

Finally, you forgot to mention that they only ship to UK and the Rebublic of Ireland.

Hey,
    Does anyone know how this machines compares to ones currently on the market? I understand as Bringho said this is drawn out and naturally more expensive however might be ideal for someone like myself.

I'm a self taught designer in 2D autocad for my work (1-2 years experience) and have always wanted to move into 3d applications. I know a bit of Sketchup & solidworks but not enough to go about my business and create something. Had a look inside the first issue and though the tutorial is basic, no doubt it will advance with the issues. I should have some decent knowledge to print something I can come up with myself. Plus knowing what I have designed should work on that printer straight away as I'm quite hesitant to buy something that expensive and then not know how to use it to it's full extent (which has happened before..)

And yes there is the added bonus of actually creating it myself.

Cheers.

Hello,

I'm 17 years of age.
    I've just seen the advert, and I'm intrigued.

I'm currently Doing my A levels in Design technology and I have three years of google sketch up experience.

I'm hoping to study Product/Design Engineering at university in a few months.

I wouldn't say I'm a pro.
    I wouldn't say I'm amazing.

But I put the time and effort in, and I was very hungry for this subscription.

In my free time I'm on Cad and designing away, and this has got me shaking for the magazine and the parts for the 3D printer.

However, I did some research and it's a 90 week subscription, this really did disappoint me, as I'm 17, I'm not made of money, honestly, I just wan't to become the best I can be.
    90 weeks is almost two years, I know I haven't got £630 straight up but I know I can save up and get my hands on it within a few weeks. This is why I'm asking if there is any way to speed up the subscription?

I'd really like to build my own before I go to university which is within the next 7 months.

It is expensive, however if you compare the price to another printer yeah, its about the same price, however you'r not paying for labour costs to build it.
    However, your gaining the experience of building it as well!

I cant explain to you how much... I'm desperate for this.
    I feel like I need to widen my skills and experience, so I'd just love to build it right here, right now.

I'm planning on building one for my self of course.
    However, if everything is as it seems, then I'm considering building more for my friends and family, once I convince them about this dramatic, unbelievable concept of having a 3D printer in every house.

There are just a few things I'd like to ask.

How big is the Printer?

How big can it print?

Can I speed up the subscription? - I'm that desperate to get it.

Can I use my own, cad drawings with the printer?

Please help me find the answer to them?

Thank you, for reading, as you can see I'm very overly excited, and way to enthusiastic for this.

Engineer-in-Training
    If you can save up that much money in a few weeks, you're far better off buying one of the many, proven, ready to assemble kits out there. There's a ton to be had so do your research. The subscription thing is a cool idea but there are far better ways to get a printer IF you have the money to spend up front. The only reason to go with the subscription is because you either can't save the money to purchase one outright or because you like the idea of incremental shipments of parts/instructions. Neither of which sound they your situation.

Staff Engineer
    The Printrbot Simple Metal Kit is just over half the price of this, and has the same print volume. For an extra hundred bucks you can get the heated bed upgrade that then makes it have all the same abilities of this as well... And it all comes in one delivery.

I know I've been sounding a little like a Printrbot salesman or something lately, but people just keep asking for the same combination of features that just happens to fit their product.

Technician
    from someone who already has a 3d printer (a replica of a replica anyway), this to me is an extention of what i have had to learn very fast, i have already started using the likes of tinkercad as its a basic drag and drop editor, files are downloaded quickly and run through the makerbot desktop software to allow quick printing, now i want a more indepth approch so for me time is ok if i want to see my efforts i have my ctc/flashforge/wanhoo dual i can print on. but to try and answer some of your questions CMC

1, Printer size: 400mm x 295mm x 356mm
    2, Prints any object up to 140mm x 140mm x 135mm
    3, this is one for customer service
    4, Yes, as long as it can read the file, most common is .stl format this can be created by numorous free programs that allow imporint of tons of files, .obj is another, as in 3d max (not sure of the extention). i have imported severl to netfabb (the app is free) and from there exported to .stl file. i would also like to point out that netfabb can repair models as well, so its a very good free program.

all information apart from Q4 (which is based on my own real world experiences) was gotten from this http://3dprinter-collection.com/aboutyour3dprinter.aspx look for the big red box that says printer features

Student
    you can buy the complete 3d printer for £700.00 in march 2015

I have made several hundred characters for several games in various formats (the sims 1,2 and 3, quake, skyrim, is there a good file format convertor to convert my 3D creations to .STL

Student
    That price was only if you pre-ordered before the end of January. It's £799 if you pre-order it now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast