Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    Hmmm i see. I wish i had something useful i could tell you but im just no seeing that happen here on my end. My brim prints the same and i can make my first layer width super fat with no problems.....weird

I received another reply from support, I asked them

Why would increasing the extrusion width create gaps between the extrusion?
    They replied.

Increasing the extrusion width will increase the amount of plastic pushed out but will also space out the toolpath more. If the extrusion multiplier is not set correctly for that extrusion width and temperature, the actual extrusion width may be less which would produce gaps.

I'd be happy to forward your suggestions to our development team. They are actively working to improve the software and create new great features, I'm sure they'd be very happy to receive this feature request.

Regards,

With extrusion width set to auto I would think the software would adjust the extrusion settings accordingly to create a solid layer. Also this is a feature that is already in the software, it just isn't working correctly.

Engineer
    no auto width does not do that. there is no intelligence with auto extrusion. that only calculates and sets your extrusion width to 120% of your nozzle dia. nothing is being adjusted on the fly. support is correct that it does space the lines out but it should also be extruding more like they say to make each line the width its supposed to be so each one touches. if your really under extruding then the lines will not touch. underextruding would be from your multiplier too low or your filament dia setting too high for what the filament actually is. or again your bed gap. i replied to your post on the s3d forum. i had a question there about something you said.

Engineer-in-Training
    I answered your question over there but it is waiting for approval.

My comment about auto extrusion was that when you have it set S3D should correctly slice and generate the tool paths to provide a solid layer without voids between the extrusions.

Here was my answer to you on the S3D forum

Yes that is what happens, I have been playing around with it again today and oddly enough if I set the "first layer width" to less than 100% then the first layer is more dense than it is at 100% and there are no gaps between the extrusions.

no auto width does not do that. there is no intelligence with auto extrusion. that only calculates and sets your extrusion width to 120% of your nozzle dia. nothing is being adjusted on the fly. support is correct that it does space the lines out but it should also be extruding more like they say to make each line the width its supposed to be so each one touches. if your really under extruding then the lines will not touch. underextruding would be from your multiplier too low or your filament dia setting too high for what the filament actually is. or again your bed gap. i replied to your post on the s3d forum. i had a question there about something you said.

Engineer
    ok in the preview you should not see gaps between the lines. they should all touch no matter what your width setting. here are some pics. 1st is at 60%, second is 100% and third is 170%. you can see there are no gaps. this is pretty much how you printer should print. if not you need to set it to 100% then tighten the gap between your nozzle and built surface until the layer lines touch. or run a thin wall calibration to adjust your multiplier.

Screen Shot 2015-06-10 at 9.49.23 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-06-10 at 9.49.58 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-06-10 at 9.50.51 AM.jpg

Engineer-in-Training
    I am guessing if you print those that the 170% will have gaps in the first layer.

I am not sure what else to say because you evidently aren't having the same issue that others are. Again I appreciate the help but I have calibrated the printer and have ABL that is setup and working well, I will just have to play with S3D to see if I can find a setting that will consistently produce a good first layer or just go back to using Slic3r until/if S3D comes out with an update to fix outstanding issues.

If I get extra time I will try to print some samples and take pictures of them to post but my examples look identical to the ones that the other guy posted on the S3D forums. Brim prints good but the part doesn't. Again if this was a printer issue the Brim would not print properly either not sure what else to say.

Here is the image the guy posted on S3D as you can clearly see the brim/outline extrusion is properly extruded on the left hand side of the image and the first layer extrusion isn't.

lbgZkdV.jpg

ok in the preview you should not see gaps between the lines. they should all touch no matter what your width setting. here are some pics. 1st is at 60%, second is 100% and third is 170%. you can see there are no gaps. this is pretty much how you printer should print. if not you need to set it to 100% then tighten the gap between your nozzle and built surface until the layer lines touch. or run a thin wall calibration to adjust your multiplier.

Screen Shot 2015-06-10 at 9.49.23 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-06-10 at 9.49.58 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2015-06-10 at 9.50.51 AM.jpg
    Last edited by Chadd; 06-10-2015 at 10:24 PM.

Engineer
    if i printed that at 170% i would have no gaps. it would be a solid layer just as shown in the preview with the edges of the extrusions touching. actually you and the other guy are the only ones i have ever seen come on the s3d forum and say this is happening which makes me wonder what is going on. because of that i would probably say dont hold your breath for a fix. support and most of the other people on the forum over there will end up saying the same thing and adjust your bed gap tighter. i would tell you dont worry about your brim or skirt and set your height and width to 100% then set your bed gap so it prints the first layer properly. turn the skirt off and do some test prints. get the first layer right but never calibrate your first layer at anything other than 100/100 in the first layer settings. once you got it right then turn the skirt back on and see what happens

Engineer-in-Training
    CalifDan mentioned in this thread that he also has the same issue so there are at least three of us.

if i printed that at 170% i would have no gaps. it would be a solid layer just as shown in the preview with the edges of the extrusions touching. actually you and the other guy are the only ones i have ever seen come on the s3d forum and say this is happening which makes me wonder what is going on. because of that i would probably say dont hold your breath for a fix. support and most of the other people on the forum over there will end up saying the same thing and adjust your bed gap tighter. i would tell you dont worry about your brim or skirt and set your height and width to 100% then set your bed gap so it prints the first layer properly. turn the skirt off and do some test prints. get the first layer right but never calibrate your first layer at anything other than 100/100 in the first layer settings. once you got it right then turn the skirt back on and see what happens

Engineer-in-Training
    I may have found a work around here. I had been using auto extrusion width in S3D so I tried to set it manually to .44 and it seems to have cleared up the issue. I am going to print some more things to test it out. Fingers crossed but the few test prints have been good so far.

Will update in a few days.

Engineer-in-Training
    Still working well since disabling auto extrusion width. No idea why but I am not going to question it as long as it is working.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12