Close

Slic3r Version Difference Issue

Hi all!

Have had my 10" i3v running for a month or 2 and have been getting pretty good results for the most part.

I'm currently only using PLA since I have had issues with the bed warping/idler contact issues when using higher bed temps for ABS but that's a whole other issue...

So, been doing some vase printing for some friends lately and have come across an issue with Slic3r versions that I haven't managed to resolve.

At the beginning I only used ver 0.9.9 as recommended by Colin. Works fine for the most part but switched over to 1.2.6 (and now 1.2.7) since the preview features are much nicer.
    Getting good results with the newer versions until I tried to print some single walled pieces.

Here's the "preamble" from 0.9.9 for a vase I've done:

; layer_height = 0.2
    ; perimeters = 1
    ; top_solid_layers = 0
    ; bottom_solid_layers = 3
    ; fill_density = 0
    ; perimeter_speed = 30
    ; infill_speed = 60
    ; travel_speed = 130
    ; nozzle_diameter = 0.4
    ; filament_diameter = 1.75
    ; extrusion_multiplier = 1
    ; perimeters extrusion width = 0.67mm
    ; infill extrusion width = 0.67mm
    ; solid infill extrusion width = 0.67mm
    ; top infill extrusion width = 0.67mm
    ; first layer extrusion width = 0.70mm

Here's the same model in 1.2.7:

; external perimeters extrusion width = 0.40mm
    ; perimeters extrusion width = 0.67mm

Looks like 1.2.7 wants the external perimeter to be 0.4 but 0.9.9 bumps it to 0.67

The 0.67 width is much nicer/sturdier than the 0.4 width.

Any ideas on how to tweak this in the new version?

Thanks in advance!!

-moyesusa

I think you would be wise to check out version 1.1.7 and see if that does everything you need. I've been using the 1.2.x versions and have found a number of anomalies. Unless you have a real need for the new features in the 1.2.x versions and enjoy 'surprises' you might be better off with 1.1.7

Same dealio with 1.1.7

; generated by Slic3r 1.1.7 on 2015-06-05 at 16:08:00

; perimeters extrusion width = 0.40mm

-moyesusa

Well... All of the Slic3r's use the same configuration information. I was mostly saying you are in uncharted territory with 1.2.x versions.

What do you have Print_Settings / Advanced / Perimeters set at? I have mine at 95%. And I have the Infill / Perimeters overlap at 15%

Student
    I have one question with regards to these comparisons. In version 0.9.9 all the extrusion widths are 0.67mm. In version 1.1.7 the perimeter extrusion width changed to 0.40mm while the rest remained at 0.67mm. Then in version 1.2.7 the perimeter extrusion stayed at 0.67mm and a new EXTERNAL PERIMETER EXTRUSION WIDTH was added with a setting of 0.40mm??? I don't know enough about these definitions other than to point out that we now have an External perimeter extrusion width in addition to a perimeter extrusion width. Apples and oranges??

Seems like that's the case. I haven't had much time to play around with the settings much more due to work (ugh!) constraints.

In reply to Roxy's Q: Perimeters (external and regular) are set to 0 which is the default value.

I'm going to try tweaking the settings for External Perimeters on the Advanced tab in the newer version and see what I get.

-moyesusa

Technician
    I tried the newest version of Slic3r, then switched to 0.9.9 per Colin. That did improve a few things, but it was a trade off. I fixed Slic3r by going to Matter Control.

If i am not mistaken, the default of 0.4 is probably set from your nozzle diameter :-)

I suspect you're correct with the nozzle diameter comment.

I'm thinking that in the earlier versions, there was a common setting for all perimeters which was being set to 0.67 (0.4 nozzle plus some "squish" factor)

Now, looks like there's a separate setting for external perimeters also.

Gonna hopefully get a chance to play some with it this evening.