Close

Hybrid View

The 3D Printed Cello

When political studies major Jason Adams approached his senior thesis, he decided to throw caution to the wind and create a 3D printed cello. This isn’t the first instrument to be 3D printed, but using the technology to create a cello was as of yet unexplored territory. Over a period of two months, Adams gathered information and created the models for his cello that he has named the Str3Dvarius. Eight days later, he had printed the parts, added a few others and recorded a video of a simple scale. But he’s not done yet, future plans include the creation of a pick up and hopes to integrate this type of hands on instrument making into schools. Read about the project in the full article: http://3dprint.com/66561/making-musi...printed-cello/

Below is a photo of Jason Adams with his Str3Dvarius:

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_Krassenstein View Post
    When political studies major Jason Adams approached his senior thesis, he decided to throw caution to the wind and create a 3D printed cello. This isn’t the first instrument to be 3D printed, but using the technology to create a cello was as of yet unexplored territory. Over a period of two months, Adams gathered information and created the models for his cello that he has named the Str3Dvarius. Eight days later, he had printed the parts, added a few others and recorded a video of a simple scale. But he’s not done yet, future plans include the creation of a pick up and hopes to integrate this type of hands on instrument making into schools. Read about the project in the full article: http://3dprint.com/66561/making-musi...printed-cello/

Below is a photo of Jason Adams with his Str3Dvarius:
    Hey Brian,

Just for clarification, it is spelled "Str3Divarius" with an "i" after the 3D.

Thanks for your awesome help!

Jason

Hi Jason...

I have been checking out 3dprinted Cellos on and off for the last year, and this is all I can find...

Did you complete it? I'd love to print one for myself, care to share the files?

Cris.

Hi Cris,

I have actually created an electric version as well. While the design is technically completed, the build is a bit involved and is not fully field-tested yet.

What kind of printer do you have?