Close

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Engineer
    I do hope they add the small perimeter speed option also. I have printed quite a few thing's that have small circles that would print much nicer if I could slow them down compared to the rest of the part.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    I do hope they add the small perimeter speed option also. I have printed quite a few thing's that have small circles that would print much nicer if I could slow them down compared to the rest of the part.
    Yep S3D is just odd, it has a lot of nice functions that no other slicer has yet it is either missing or just has broken basic functions that free slicers have.

Engineer
    just my observation over the past 2 years.....the people that have the hardest time or have the most complaints about s3d are the ones that have been using the open source software for a long time. they get very set in their ways and are used to how a specific slicer works. when they make the jump to s3d they think...... this is missing or that doesnt function or print right because a certain setting is missing or dont work right. in most cases thats not really what the problem is. you need to know the s3d slicer and how everything works. dont get me wrong, its not perfect but neither are any of the others. they all have their quirks but everything in s3d works and you can get fantastic prints out of it once you understand it and all its settings. you might have a function that was in slicer but not in s3d but its not in s3d because its really not needed with how the slicer works. it would really be no different if i was to dump s3d and start using slic3r or cura. i would probably end up thinking those were terrible and be looking for functions that s3d has but arent there in cura. then i would think to myself how am i going to get good prints without that setting. really it just takes time to really get to know the slicer you are using no matter what one it is. that is why i dont jump around. use one and master it. your prints will come out way better. i just chose s3d in the beginning so i am very comfortable with it and how it works with my printer. i barely have to even think about my settings anymore.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Fan speed is a % clicker

jimc has a very good point :-)

I looked at slic3r recently after not playing with it for a year or so.
    Doesn't have a 3d layout as standard. just could not get used to a 2d layout lol

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    Fan speed is a % clicker
    I suppose I could have been more clear. I was referring to the run-time adjustment on the machine control panel.

Ah okay. put your mouse on the slider, hold down the left button and then use the left and right arrows on the keyboard to move in even, small increments.
    Might help :-)

have to admit I pretty much don't use the control panel :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jimc View Post
    just my observation over the past 2 years.....the people that have the hardest time or have the most complaints about s3d are the ones that have been using the open source software for a long time. they get very set in their ways and are used to how a specific slicer works. when they make the jump to s3d they think...... this is missing or that doesnt function or print right because a certain setting is missing or dont work right. in most cases thats not really what the problem is. you need to know the s3d slicer and how everything works. dont get me wrong, its not perfect but neither are any of the others. they all have their quirks but everything in s3d works and you can get fantastic prints out of it once you understand it and all its settings. you might have a function that was in slicer but not in s3d but its not in s3d because its really not needed with how the slicer works. it would really be no different if i was to dump s3d and start using slic3r or cura. i would probably end up thinking those were terrible and be looking for functions that s3d has but arent there in cura. then i would think to myself how am i going to get good prints without that setting. really it just takes time to really get to know the slicer you are using no matter what one it is. that is why i dont jump around. use one and master it. your prints will come out way better. i just chose s3d in the beginning so i am very comfortable with it and how it works with my printer. i barely have to even think about my settings anymore.
    I wouldn't agree that the people that are having issues is because they were using open software. Different perhaps as you could say the same if they were using Makerware. If one has a basic understanding of the toolchain in the most broad terms they should understand the concepts regardless of the software. I started using S3D just over a year ago and have been building and printing for a few years now. I have multiple bots in a farm with each controlled via Octoprint. I don't use it as the primary production slicer but rather for specific jobs that require modifications to the support or manual support and also specifically for dual head jobs. I got S3D when Slic3r was in a dev hiatus. Now that both Cura and Slic3r are both actively being developed for most jobs there isn't anything that I can't do with those compared to S3D with the biggest being manual supports and at this point better dual head control. I thought I'd use the factory files more but I couldn't have them fit into my workflow in a way that I was comfortable. They work well but for me it was more work for little benefit to use FFF and reslice the already 100 plus parts and profiles.

Unless you are getting a machine that has pre-configured profiles I don't see it any easier to learn than the others. It's does a few things better as it does a few things less well. I still can't get 2.2.2 to slice a .5 mm thinwall cal part . They do fix things in the upgrades. If I had to get it again I probably would and I'd likely pay for a significant upgrade.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123