Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Engineer
    I love S3D myself. It has saved me SO much time.

Sure, I could complain about a few thing's with it. But I could also complain about 10x more thing's with other various slicer's also.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    I love S3D myself. It has saved me SO much time.

Sure, I could complain about a few thing's with it. But I could also complain about 10x more thing's with other various slicer's also.

The major difference is that you didn't spend $150 on those other slicers. My beef is that when I pay for software I expect some support, I have emailed them several times about issues and have never heard a word back from them.

I hope that Jimc is right and they release an update that fixes some of the issues with it. That still won't solve my bitterness about the support issue but it would be nice to have software that works.

Engineer
    honestly their support has a real good reputation. not sure why they didnt get back to you. im sure they get flooded with support emails so i would imagine a certain percentage dont get a reply. only thing i can figure.

Engineer-in-Training
    I love S3D the print preview is what sold me. I can see where my extruder is going before I print the part.

Also, their customer service is amazing. When I first used it I had some issues with prints coming out really small, I sent an email and literally one hour later I had the answer.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by BLKKROW View Post
    I love S3D the print preview is what sold me. I can see where my extruder is going before I print the part.

Also, their customer service is amazing. When I first used it I had some issues with prints coming out really small, I sent an email and literally one hour later I had the answer.
    Hmm I have sent them several emails and never heard a word from them. How long ago was it that you emailed their support?

Engineer
    I have had to e-mail them twice, both time's they did respond to me. The first response did not help at all, the second was a little better. It did take them quite a bit of time to respond, but like jimc mentioned, I bet they do get a lot of email's still at this time.

Edit - Whats the issue you are having? There is a heap full of people around here with a wealth of knowledge, I'm sure someone could help you work through it. What printer etc

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    had no problems with support.
    I installed it too many times and it locked me out.
    emailed them on a sunday afternoon and they'd reset my code and emailed me back the same sunday !

A lot of the problem people have are either unrealistic expectations - ie: expecting slicer to know what diameter filament you use ;-)
    Or just not getting the settings right.

The forum is extremely good and I haven't yet posted a question that didn't get a swift answer and put me right.

pretty much my only actual complaint is the sheer crapness of the infill. Why there can't be a setting for solid infill, rather than every otheer layer - is beyond me. It's such a simple thing.
    Bioosting ther thickenss of the infill to 00 or 250 % doesn't actually work very well. It still doesn't create a solid coherent infill and if you're using a flexible filament - often the extruder won't push that much filament through and it clogs your extruder. And that was with polyflex - one of the most rigid of the flexible filaments.

That aside - it is easily the best slicer and layout software I've played with.

Engineer
    I agree with the infill issue. I think we should all email support once a day about it until they add it. It doesn't have to be the default setting even. But add it for us who really want it.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassna View Post
    I have had to e-mail them twice, both time's they did respond to me. The first response did not help at all, the second was a little better. It did take them quite a bit of time to respond, but like jimc mentioned, I bet they do get a lot of email's still at this time.

Edit - Whats the issue you are having? There is a heap full of people around here with a wealth of knowledge, I'm sure someone could help you work through it. What printer etc

Posted earlier in the thread with some of the major issues I have with the software.

Another issue that I have is with the first layer, even though you set the extrusion width to be more than 100%. Say you set it to 125% it doesn't put the extra 25% into the same space as it would have the 100% it actually spaces out the extrusion causing the exact opposite of what you are trying to accomplish. Instead of making for a more solid first layer it will actually create voids in the first layer. It is easy to reproduce this just by changing your first layer settings and then doing a print preview and then doing a cross section.

So to sum it up my issues off the top of my head are.

1. Infill is terrible and I mean terrible in the worst way. This causes all kinds of issues when printing working mechanical prototypes. Just do a google search for "Simplify3d infill problems"

2. If you have a boss or other protrusion that sits on top of a flat surface the interface between the two is very weak. "see the thread below"

http://forum.simplify3d.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1809

3. First layer issues I mentioned above.

4. It will not wipe and retract at the same time so it creates blobs instead of reduces them when you use the two functions together.

5. Retract functions are needlessly confusing and will in fact fight against each other depending on how you have the boxes checked.

6. There is no option to adjust speeds for small perimeters.

If I thought about it long enough I could come up with probably a dozen more issues. Not all of these issues are show stoppers but some of them are show stoppers depending on what you are trying to slice and print.

Engineer
    i know the infill is a big thing for alot of people. i personally never have an issue with it and get strong prints. as a matter of fact the stuff i print is for a company that makes industrial machinery and my prints get used on the machines itself. with that said though, i do know what your talking about with it printing every other layer and i guess anything can be improved. of course print time would probably increase a bunch. in any case, like i said i sorta have the ear of some of the people at s3d and from a conversation, while i got no real details, i get the feeling you will see some changes in the way infill works. for #2 on your list, yes i agree on that. im not sure what we will see there on the update. #5 i have no issue with. i think the ooze controls are easy to understand and make adjustments with. #6 i have thought about it really i guess because i have never had the need for it. my stuff prints clean if its large or small but i realize every printer is different and maybe some could use that setting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast