Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by huntleybill View Post
    The thing that confuses me is when I emailed Colin about this he said there was no firmware supported for ABL, but yet Clough42 has it. This is a makerfarm printer so I am sure Colin has his reasons. Maybe it doesn't work as well as Colin likes as he certainly knows what he is doing.
    If I were Colin, I'd also keep saying that ABL is not supported until ABL hardware is an integral part of the product available from my company. I'd stand behind the ABL implementation I provide. You go off an implement something different, even something minor like using a different servo, and you're on your own.

With time, you'll likely grow to realize that Colin is ultra conservative on telling people what works on the printers. For example, he's likely still saying Slic3r v0.9.9 is the only slicer that provides good prints, even though countless people have successfully demonstrated use of multiple Slic3r versions beyond that and have also successfully used Cura, Simplify3D, etc. Put yourself in his shoes - his product support hassles are simplified if people stick with the arguably ancient baseline that he is most familiar with, and I wouldn't be surprised if he somewhat wished people would stop trying to migrate to new versions or mod the heck out of the printers in ways that affect the firwmare.

It's a tough call - staying on top of the constant swirl of updates on everything isn't easy, especially when new versions often break things that used to work. IMO, Slic3r and Marlin are especially "good" at that.

To be frank, maybe things have changed, but MakerFarm has never done a real good job of firmware distribution. You'd likely be surprised on how many issues have been resolved in the forum here regarding boards being received flashed with the wrong firmware, incorrect download links being provided, etc. Add on top of that the fact that MakerFarm keeps expanding the product line with more printer sizes, selection of electronics, and selection of display type, and Colin has quite a challenge on his hands. The differences between these are often minor tweaks in the configuration files, but that doesn't mean every product user is savvy enough to work through them.

Technologist
    That is a very good argument printbus. Like most electronics, by the time you open the box, it is already outdated.

Thanks to all of you who helped me, mine is printing now. All I need to do is all the "fine tuning".
    Until the next post, I am very grateful for your assistance. Thank you Roxy, printbus, sniffle, everyone!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345