Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Technologist

Convering to ABL and having issue with Z axis

I have the Makerfam 8 inch I put ABL together and reloaded the firmware to the latest Marlin software. I followed ZennmasterM instructions and also loaded the firmware following his YouTube video on this subject. I got the servo to work correctly. I tested the micro switch to make sure it was triggering. I then moved to the steps to set the probe offset and I found that the Z axis (when I tried lowering it in Pnterface) turns the Z motors VERY VERY slowly. You can pretty much count the steps. The X and Y work fine.

Can anyone shed some light on correcting this. My guess (and I could be dead wrong) is that is is software related becuse it worked fine before I updated the firmware (the Z axix I mean). I just have no dea where to look.

Your advice is appreciated. Thank you
    Bill

If you are using the current development branh of marlin that is a bad idea... ABL has been broken for a couple months now, they are working hard to fix it, along with a TON of bugs that are in previous versions...

I would suggest pulling up the 1.0.2 tag of the development version, ABL works on it for the most part and will print quite nicely... I test the development version of marlin every weekend and report problems... this is what i flash during the week to get prints done...

Technologist
    Thank you Sniffle. I just went to the Marlin web page and clicked on the "download "button. Hate to sound like a complete newbe (as I almost am) but, how do I get the version you are referring to?

Technologist
    Never mind....I found the firmware. I'll let you know.

Technologist
    OK...Downloaded and configured 1.0.2 tag and then re-did ZennmasterM instructions for configuring the firmware. I uploaded it and got nothing! Display is blank, nothing works. Is there a certain way i was supposed to download and configure 1.0.2 tag?

I emailed Colin and he tells me there is currently no firmware supported for ABL but they are "working on it".
    So...further help is still needed.
    Thank you all
    Bill

did you enable the display? if you didn't uncomment the display then it wont show...

I run from octoprint and sometimes plug my laptop in for when i need to run diagnostics... I have a rambo board with the rrd full graphics display printing as i type this working like a charm using the 1.0.2 marlin tag :-) it works i promise.. I would go through your config.h again

Quote Originally Posted by sniffle View Post
    If you are using the current development branh of marlin that is a bad idea... ABL has been broken for a couple months now, they are working hard to fix it, along with a TON of bugs that are in previous versions...
    Sniffle, how could this happen? What happened to make the current branches become unstable?

Quote Originally Posted by huntleybill View Post
    OK...Downloaded and configured 1.0.2 tag and then re-did ZennmasterM instructions for configuring the firmware. I uploaded it and got nothing! Display is blank, nothing works. Is there a certain way i was supposed to download and configure 1.0.2 tag?

I emailed Colin and he tells me there is currently no firmware supported for ABL but they are "working on it".
    So...further help is still needed.
    Thank you all
    Bill
    Like Sniffle said... You have to enable the appropriate #define's for your LCD panel. But let's talk about this at a higher level. If you used to have a version of Marlin working, the right answer is to do a diff between your current Configuration.h file and the new one. Every difference that shows up you decide what to do. Many times you put your value in place. But some times new symbols show up and depending on what you are doing you want to accept their defaults. In your case, your Configuration.h did not have Auto Bed Leveling so you will need to make strategic decisions on any difference in the files related to that.

I use ExamDiff Pro. It is a Windows based diff program. It is super helpful for this kind of stuff.

Technologist
    Thanks sniffle but the display was not the only thing. I opened Ponterface and could get no response from the printer on ANY commands. But, I will go back through the config_h again. Most likely just something small I forgot or configured wrong.

So...why couldn't I just use the firmware Makerfarm suggests using and add the sections for ABL to it from the 1.0.2 tag? Just a cut/paste command and done!
    Or, is it not that easy??

Quote Originally Posted by huntleybill View Post
    Thanks sniffle but the display was not the only thing. I opened Ponterface and could get no response from the printer on ANY commands. But, I will go back through the config_h again. Most likely just something small I forgot or configured wrong.

So...why couldn't I just use the firmware Makerfarm suggests using and add the sections for ABL to it from the 1.0.2 tag? Just a cut/paste command and done!
    Or, is it not that easy??
    There are changes all over the place to make Auto Bed Leveling happen. They are not just in one place.

Technologist
    Ahh ok Roxy...that makes sence. Then let me ask another question. The 1.0.2 "tag" ...What does the "tag" mean? Is a "tag" just a portion of the full firmware that has been updated? Maybe I am missing a bunch of firmware which would explain why nothing seems to be working.

I'm going to work on it now...I will let you know.
    Thanks All

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast