Close

Printer set up. Please help!

I am fairly new to the 3D printing world, and I need some help. I have a Fab@Home model 2 printer using the snapmotors' SM HUB6 hub and SM062 motors. The only things that were given to me were the printer and the install disc for the drivers to the motors.

So far I have:

-Installed the drivers and operated all of the motors using the Motion Basic software as the controller
    -Using this I was able to adjust the physical settings on the printer to allow movement in all directions

-Tried to locate and download FabStudio and FabInterpreter (programs that are supposed to run the printer)
    -Cannot find latest v2 and get mingwm10.dll is missing error. The company, Fab@Home seems to have not been active since 2012.. I threw them an email a couple days ago with no response

-Tried using MatterControl and Printrun as a host software
    -Both would not connect to the printer

-Finally, tried using Repetier as a host software
    -This one said it "connected" but nothing is happening. This seemed to be the most promising, but I got confused when the manual stared talking about firmware

I cannot get this thing to move using a 3D printing software! I don't know much about the snapmotors' hub or what it runs on, documentation is thin.

Any help is appreciated!

-Nick

I can't find anything on using the hub6 that doesn't come from the Fab@Home site, which seems to be defunct. The closest I think you might be able to get with this printer, unless someone else has an archive available of the software, is to dump the hub and use RAMPS with Marlin to drive the motors. You might be able to get some help with this from @Ubermeisters over at the reprap.org forum, who reports he got it working with these motors http://forums.reprap.org/read.php?160,304034.

Banned
    Can people please do this survey for our class and share the survey as well. We are trying to get at least 100 response. One link is for people who have a 3D printer and the other is for people who don't have a 3D printer.
    Have Printer https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LN3GZ8D
    Don't have printer https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LYB69B6
    make sure to click on the correct link.

A little update, I found the software package to go along with the printer, but It is very strange and poorly designed. I have successfully printed a few parts, but I am very limited by the settings. Long story short, I need to either replace the existing electronics to something that will run with Repetier or buy a new printer that will. Neither option is favored over the other, but I must choose one.

Ideally I want a system that works together and includes limit switches. The printer right now does not have them and it makes operation more difficult than it needs to be.

So, what are my options as far as hardware and controllers? Is there a package that includes a controller, motors, and maybe limit switches? Or at least is there a place to buy all of this stuff that will work together? It currently uses servo motors, and I would like to use them again. I have a rough understanding of how all this technology works, I just don't know much about the hardware side of it.

Now for a printer, I want something that has a build space of about 6in x 6in x 10in or bigger with a heated bed, preferably duel extruders (not necessary), and preferably work with syringes. I know there are LDM type heads that accept syringes on thingiverse that I can make work if need be. It must end up using syringes, whether it be one printed off of thingiverse or designed from the factory. Cost is not an issue.

Here is the syringe tool: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:482873

Any help is appreciated, thank you

-Nick