Close

Resin fillers, your ideas.

Hi all.
    I know it's early days, but as it's rather quiet around here I thought I start a thread.
    A few things mentioned on these forums and others were:
    • Rice (still not sure about this one )
    • Micro glass beads
    • Corn flour

What ideas do others have?

Peachy Printer Founder
    I think if uv resin were to be used with beads as a filler, then beeds that pass uv light would be best, to help uv light penetrate deep into the print.
    Im quite sure printing shells and filling them after is the best way to get fast prints that are solid, so I think fillers will become important soon

Quote Originally Posted by jontelling View Post
    I would like to try:

Coffee grounds
    Flour
    Different exotic woods (Cedar, Bubinga etc)
    Aluminum (it *should* be lighter than brine?)

Also we need to figure out some sort of bottom-up printing option (with float or otherwise) so that we can use metals.

Technician
    just did a quick google on density of aluminium, and it is 2.7 TONNES per cubic METRE, as fresh water is only 1 TONNE per cubic metre, you would have to ADD a hell of a lot of salt to the water to get the water to similar density(probably beyond the max carrying capacity of water)

It begs the question - is there any other (very heavy) liquid we could use instead of brine?

Hey, Rylan, could we use Soduim polytungstate? it has a maximum attainable solution density of 3,1 g/cm3 at 25°C and would allow us to use aluminum powder as filling. perhaps some alloys?

Quote Originally Posted by Morten View Post
    Hey, Rylan, could we use Soduim polytungstate? it has a maximum attainable solution density of 3,1 g/cm3 at 25°C and would allow us to use aluminum powder as filling. perhaps some alloys?
    That's some heavy liquid. Maybe we should start another thread regarding salt solutions. Copper sulphate is another that comes to mind.

Peachy Printer Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Morten View Post
    Wow just read up on this Sodium polytungstate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_polytungstate
    That looks really promising we should try that!
    looks like since its very reusable its ok if its a bit expensive:
    http://geoliquids.com/product-catego...based-product/
    A New Thread is a good idea to but Ill let you start it.

Quote Originally Posted by jontelling View Post
    Hi all.
    I know it's early days, but as it's rather quiet around here I thought I start a thread.
    A few things mentioned on these forums and others were:
    • Rice (still not sure about this one )
    • Micro glass beads
    • Corn flour

Probably would be really cool to add partially cured latex microparticles, which when combined with the acrylic resin would form a tougher material overall and less brittle. Even add a third component would be interesting for adding and tuning the properties of the final part.