Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Creat.or Pro

Hi everyone,
    i'm new here, so I'll thank you in advance for your help and patience with me.
    I just setup the FFpro & having some problems.
    Here's my setup:
    Using older computer running XP, not connected to net.
    USB cable connected to com port 6
    Was able to print the demo traffic cone
    Problems:
    I was able to download Replicator from another computer to a flash drive and transfer it to the printer's computer. It seems to be working. I can access and exercise the x and y and the bed controls, etc. I can load files.

I downloaded the python to the flash drive and transferred to the printers computer, but it will NOT open or run. So I can't generate Gcode.

Something else I do not understand - It says in the manual to go to the "For Windows" on the LCD screen and browse for the replicator file. Does that mean I am should be able to read the SD card on the computer?
    Thanks again,
    Jon

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yeah the sd card is readable with a card reader.

The next thing you want to do is get hold of makerware desktop 2.4.
    It's soooo much better than rep-g. Easier to use and massively faster slicing.

That should sort any communication errors.

Hi aardvark,
    thanks for your quick reply.
    i am still not clear about the SDcard. Should I be able to read it on the computer while it is inserted into the printer, or do I need to buy a card reader and connect it to the computer?

Do you have any thoughts about downloading python? As I said In the OP, the computer I am using on the printer is not connected to the net. I have tried a couple times downloading to a flash drive and then moving the flash drive to the printer's computer, it shows on the desktop, but won't run. I did the same thing with Replicator
    and it seems to work.
    any advice is greatly appreciated.

jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon767 View Post
    Hi aardvark,
    thanks for your quick reply.
    i am still not clear about the SDcard. Should I be able to read it on the computer while it is inserted into the printer, or do I need to buy a card reader and connect it to the computer?

Do you have any thoughts about downloading python? As I said In the OP, the computer I am using on the printer is not connected to the net. I have tried a couple times downloading to a flash drive and then moving the flash drive to the printer's computer, it shows on the desktop, but won't run. I did the same thing with Replicator
    and it seems to work.
    any advice is greatly appreciated.

jon
    You will need a card reader. You can't access the sdcard while it is in the printer.

well technically you can - but I've only done it with simplify3d and it does it over the usb cable.
    Ordinarily you have to stick it in acard reader on the computer.

But yeah go to your nearest pound/buck store and buy a usb sd card reader for your computer.
    Most of my non-filament printing supplies come from pound shops :-)

The makerware desktop files are all in the single installable - including the python stuff. So year, download, stick on usb stick and install on the machine.
    If you can't find them pm me with your email address and I'll upload the 32bit files to mailbigfile.com. Should probably do that anyway :-)

Thanks so much. I got the card reader. The file on the card on the" for windows" folder is a zip file. For some reason, my computer extractor lochs up and won't unzip it.
    i will start over and do what you say and get the Maker desktop 2.4 and try that.
    Thank you so much. You have been so helpful. So much more than Mr. tang;-)

Jon

the zip file proably just has rep-g in it.

I used it twice and haven't looked at it since. AFter only half slicing a lefabshop articulated elephant in 6 hours - I just didn't see the point in it at all.

Same file takes a few minutes in makerware and a few seconds in simplify3d. 12 hours to slice a basic file on a new quadcore system ?
    That's just taking the piss. I'll get the file uploaded and linked tonight or tomorrow :-)

Thanks again! I received the file from the mailbag file. I'll try it. Tonite and let you know.
    Really appreciate your efforts.
    Jon

Hi Aardvark,
    i finally seem to be able to talk to my printer. I am able to print the traffic cone from the rep g.
    it works fine. Yipee!! Thanks for your advice.

I have tried to print objects of my own and an object from thingiverse. I have successfully created the Gcode and saved to the SD card. But when I go to print I am printing in air. That is, the platform does not move from the bottom position and the head is working in the far right back corner of the build area. The extruder is squirting out the filament into the air.

I am using Skeinforge 50.

The home offset positions from the LCD panel are x=152.987, y=74.985, z=o.

From what I read this seems to be correct.

I can't figure why the cone prints correctly but my objects won't.

any thoughts you may have would be greatly appreciated.
    Jon

i

okay - you can't use anything other than rep-g or makerware (the file you downloaded) or simplify 3d.
    Pretty sure I'd made that clear.

They correctly convert the g-code file into an .x3g file. Using any other slicer just makes life super complicated. you can try the klic-n-play slic3r & convertor package:
    slic3r: http://dl.slic3r.org/win/
    convertor: https://knp3d.com/wp-content/uploads..._vs1.1.0.0.zip

that should work for a pro - I have to admit I havem'#t actually tried it as I've been concentrating on creating working profiles for my KNP with simplify 3d. Which I much prefer to slicer.

And to answer your question the cone prints because you ran it's gcode through rep-g and your models don't work because you didn't use a makerbot compatible slicer.
    Seems pretty obvious.

The other thing to install with makewrware is proftweak. This gives you total control of all the intricate settings that the advanced (lol) interface doesn't. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:190233
    I'll add it to the makerware thread as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast