Close

Materials and Degradation

I am trying to gather information regarding the weathering and photo-oxidative degradation of various 3D printing Materials. I have a product that must be personalized for every user and it is used in a high UV, saltwater environment. The main selling point is the various colors that can be printed with a dual extruder. Unfortunately I can only meet a fair price point and features by using a 3D printer.

I am currently using ABS as my main printing material and I have perfected the print at the quickest speed. The problem is that my research came up with many issues with ABS weathering. One such example was a major automotive recall due to degradation of ABS plastic seat belts. I think that any polymer will eventually degrade and the pigments will fade with time, but what i'd like to do is increase service life of the part and offer a warranty.

I ordered some Taulman 3D Nylon 618, but i'd have to dye the stuff myself. The other option is to use IC3D ABS in various colors and install a dual extruder on my Taz 5. My question is what is recommended for longevity? What are your experiences using 3D printed parts in a outdoor environment?

Have you tried an epoxy coating or electroplating ? This would help with oxydation.

Staff Engineer
    I don't know of any 3D printing filaments that are proof against UV degradation and weathering. ABS isn't and neither is nylon (see http://info.craftechind.com/blog/bid...ylon-Fasteners ). One thing you might consider is mastering it using 3D printing but then molding and casting it in a material that's more resistant. Take a look at some of the polyurethanes for that - they come in many different formulations and colors, and tend to weather pretty well. It might be possible to cast the different colored sections separately and assemble them afterwards, if the colors are important to you.

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com