Close

Autobed level...then?

Ok, I set the system up. I run a g28, then a g29. At that point is there anything else I need to do, or should I be ready to print? To be honest since I've had the autobed level I have only had 1 successful print out of 10.

You need to get the Z Offset dialed in correctly. When that is correct, almost always the first layer will go down nicely.

I would do a G28 and a G29. Then I would carefully tell the nozzel to move from one corner to another corner. You should see the Z-Axis change in height slightly to compensate for any unlevelness. It is likely you will see more movement in the Z-Axis going in one direction than the other. Once you have verified this, move the nozzle .5mm from the bed and carefully repeat. You should see the Nozzle track the bed fairly well and keep the gap very consistent no matter what corner you go to.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Roxy View Post
    You need to get the Z Offset dialed in correctly. When that is correct, almost always the first layer will go down nicely.

I would do a G28 and a G29. Then I would carefully tell the nozzel to move from one corner to another corner. You should see the Z-Axis change in height slightly to compensate for any unlevelness. It is likely you will see more movement in the Z-Axis going in one direction than the other. Once you have verified this, move the nozzle .5mm from the bed and carefully repeat. You should see the Nozzle track the bed fairly well and keep the gap very consistent no matter what corner you go to.
    Roxy, do you do the autobed level each time you print? I ask this only because it getting hard to keep track of the constant changes being made.

Technician
    I do the ABL every print Hankus. Yes it takes a few minutes, but in my estimation it is time well spent. One thing I do is move my start code for hotend heating to after the ABL completes so I don't have to worry about a bit of filament dribbling out of the hotend during ABL if I do the normal hotend heat at the end of heat bed heating. So start gcode looks like Head bed to temp> ABL> Hotend heat to temp> Lower and wipe nozzle> Begin print. Just takes a few minutes, but has given me very consistent resuts. This is all done with the slicer start gcode, so it really doesn't matter what my slicer settings are for heat bed or hotend temps, the start gcode has these values and supersedes the standard slicer settings and default firmware values. There might be a better way, but this works well for me.

Student
    I like that process. The dribble you speak of is an issue I'm dealing with now.

Quote Originally Posted by Hankus View Post
    Roxy, do you do the autobed level each time you print? I ask this only because it getting hard to keep track of the constant changes being made.
    Yes, I let the G29 run every time I print. I did that EEPROM save of the Bed Correction Matrix because some people wanted it. And I did test it. But I do a G29 every print.

Student
    I'm good with doing it each time if that's the norm. I have to admit the print quality is so many times better than before ABL the added time is worth it.