Close

strings between prints

im using slicer with the makerfarm config the cube printed good, then i printed a low poly pikachu and it printed some strings between the body and the tail, now i printed two of the idler gears to keep the belt from rubbing on the wood but the stringing was worst with two parts on the bed, im thinking the 225 makerfarm has the extruder temp set is too high for the pla. im using , but im knew to this so not 100% on this.

Yea that temp seems high for PLA. I started with the same temp settings with my kit and then read up on the proper settings for PLA. I print around 200 now so I would suggest you start there and move up or down 5c depending on how the print goes. It's a bit of trial and error but you will find a setting that works well for your filament.

What i also do is keep an excel sheet updated with settings for each filament I have when I figure out what it likes best. You may want to keep track as well.

How did those idlers work out for you? Mine broke in half when I tried to put the bearings in them. I think I need to print them again at 101% or 102% scale.

I never cleaned them up I deemed them unusable so there going into my junk part box for when I get this filament extruder put together, I tried printing at 199 it didn't seem to like it so I bumped it to 209 there is still a little stringing but nothing like from the start
    Last edited by neverlift; 04-24-2015 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Add info

Technologist
    They worked great for me. Have them on since January. Printing regularly. I too had the strings. What I had to do was play with retraction and temperature. And maybe add a little z lift. That should take care of the strings.

For the life of me I can't find the retraction setting

Technician
    Not sure what software you are using. Retraction in Slic3r is on the "Printer Settings" tab under extruder. http://manual.slic3r.org/expert-mode/fighting-ooze
    Random picture I stole from someone online:
    Last edited by jasay; 04-24-2015 at 05:44 PM. Reason: fix poor memory

Technologist
    jasay shared a great picture.

Quote Originally Posted by neverlift View Post
    For the life of me I can't find the retraction setting