Close

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Technologist

Would you spend $1000 for a 3D scanner printer add-on that works reliably?

I have an idea on how to do it and wonder if it's worth investigating.

Engineer-in-Training
    Define reliably? What kind of scan area? What level of resolution? What guarantees of accuracy and precision?

The short answer is yes but the longer answer needs a lot more info.

Technologist
    What I envision would work to create a near perfect .stl replication every time for every material.

Z axis resolution better than .1mm. X-Y resolution depending on desired speed. Scan area defined by the printer its attached to.

Complex shapes will require more than 1 scan which will be stitched together.

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    Define reliably? What kind of scan area? What level of resolution? What guarantees of accuracy and precision?

The short answer is yes but the longer answer needs a lot more info.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by robosmith View Post
    What I envision would work to create a near perfect .stl replication every time for every material.

Z axis resolution better than .1mm. X-Y resolution depending on desired speed. Scan area defined by the printer its attached to.

Complex shapes will require more than 1 scan which will be stitched together.
    I missed the part about it being a printer attachment. Honestly, unless it has the ability to scan large objects (more than 12" cubed) it's not something i'd be interested in at that price BUT if you can figure out a way to get perfectly clean stl's every time and port your software to work with other scanners THAT would be worth something.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    I missed the part about it being a printer attachment. Honestly, unless it has the ability to scan large objects (more than 12" cubed) it's not something i'd be interested in at that price BUT if you can figure out a way to get perfectly clean stl's every time and port your software to work with other scanners THAT would be worth something.
    Precision measurement is more a function of the hardware than the software. Not that it cannot be enhanced with sophisticated software...

Why do you want to scan larger than you can print? Make scale models? Precision is not as important there.

What I envision would be more for making enhanced parts.

Banned
    I would jump on this, if you can use an existing printer as a scanner that can put out those numbers. Yep.

For reverse engineering this would be a dream, for scanning scultpures or organic bodies, this would probably not appeal because it just wont have the accuracy (scanners that capture fine texture are in the 0.01mm resolution range).

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yes I'd be interested - for $1000 - not a chance.

For that money it'd need to be fuly portable. And as a lot of people would like to scan other (and their own) people's heads - that's most likely why it would need to scan bigger than the printer can scan. Also scan larger objects and rescale them for printing.

For a printer add on I might go to $400, but certainly no more for somethig that limited.

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by robosmith View Post
    Precision measurement is more a function of the hardware than the software. Not that it cannot be enhanced with sophisticated software...
    Why do you want to scan larger than you can print? Make scale models? Precision is not as important there.
    Precision is about hardware, clean .stl's is about software. In the realm of scanners it seems to me that the software is the biggest issue in terms of getting scans that are actually useful.

As for scanning larger than i can print, not every scan is meant to replicate a part. Sometimes it's for reverse engineering an existing part. For instance, I will never need to print a wheel or swingarm for my motorcycle. I do need an axle for the bike though. The axle is a custom part that will be printed (as a fit only prototype) but since it doesn't exist yet i can't scan it. I therefore need to scan the mating components so i can design the axle to print and test.

this one will deliver pretty much what you describe
    ships in June
    for less than 1000 usd
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...d-pri/comments

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugues View Post
    this one will deliver pretty much what you describe
    ships in June
    for less than 1000 usd
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...d-pri/comments
    Thanks for that, but I'm not seeing high accuracy for all materials with those examples. OK for artwork I suppose.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast