Close

Thread: Printing Thin

Printing Thin

Hello,

I have a mesh or crosshatch like pattern square in shape about 3inx3in but it is only .25mm thick. The CUBE prints this out just fine but the Flashforge Pro misses on more than half the pattern not laying down any or just a trace of ABS, The CUBE is printing with PLA could that make a difference? Is there a parameter I should change to print something so thin?

Thanks,

Alan

Engineer-in-Training
    What's your layer height setting at? My creator pro doesn't really like to print at anything other than .2mm. More than that and I don't get good adhesion, less that that and I get very messy prints. At .25mm I'm guessing you're set to print a single layer .25mm tall yes? If thats the case you're probably not getting enough pressure on the build platform to get the filament to stick. Since you can't very well print .25mm tall with .2mm layers my only suggestion would be to try and increase your feedrate to get more plastic coming out per unit length. That may give you enough pressure to get the 1st layer adhesion to work. PLA could also be a factor as that tends to be a bit more forgiving for 1st layer sticking than abs

Thanks for the reply, I switched from ABS to PLA on the creator pro, adjusted the layer level to 2.0 from 2.7 and increased the feed rate. I still get to where some of the pattern is laid down and some is not, like not enough PLA is being laid down. The CUBE prints the same file fine but I do not know the parameters of the CUBE Gcode.

Any more hints?

Engineer-in-Training
    Yes, stop changing so much all at once. You changed material, layer height, and feed rate. Along with the material change you probably also changed your nozzle and bed temp. So 5 variables have been altered all at once. There is no way to diagnose which one is doing what when you change so much at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    Yes, stop changing so much all at once. You changed material, layer height, and feed rate. Along with the material change you probably also changed your nozzle and bed temp. So 5 variables have been altered all at once. There is no way to diagnose which one is doing what when you change so much at a time.

I agree completely, dont usually do so many in any experiment , BUT when you change from ABS to PLA some other things need to change like the BED TEMP and NOZZLE TEMP. So 3 of variables HAD to change. Material, bed temp and nozzle temp. Besides that, I changed layer height and feed rate. There was no difference seen at all. Same issue as mentioned above. If the stupid CUBE thing did not print this correctly I would just blame the file and concentrate there, but the CUBE is supposed to be so inferior (by public opinion) I think it is just something I am not doing correctly, some setting. Most likly my misunderstanding.

Thanks for your input!

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    .25 is an odd thickness to print because it is 1.5 .2mm layers. On thin things like that I like to keep it in even increments of .1mm or .2mm. So I either print 2 layers of .1mm to get .2mm or increase the thickness to .4 and print 2 - .2mm layers. You could do 2 layers of .125mm That way you get 2 layers laid down in different directions and this will be stronger than just 1 .25mm layer.