Close

Technologist

I need your help. Y motor making a loud noise.

Hi there am printing abs. Temperature 240 bed 110, 55 minutes into print. Makerfarm 12 i3v Rambo. motor hot to the touch not sure if that has to do anything with it. After 55 minutes the motor starts making some loud noise. Am posting a video so you guys can hear it. You can hear the noise through the whole video. Can you guys tell me what could it be. Never done this before. Recently I update to marlin 1.0.2 for autobed level am not sure if that has anything to do with it. I attached my configuration files so you guys can look at and see if i done anything wrong. I have printed pla after I updated my firmware and never notice any of this noise maybe a little here and there i did notice a noise that was similar. Do you guys think it has to do with my voltage. I have this power supply just incase you guys want to know http://openbuildspartstore.com/12v-30a-power-supply/

Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rhonal89; 04-19-2015 at 10:57 PM.

I'm not like a 'Clean Freak', but do you ever clean your bed?

Technologist
    ABS juice I just applied. Maybe I applied too much. First time trying it. I clean my bed every new print. According to this video I think I applied a little too much ABS juice.
    Last edited by rhonal89; 04-20-2015 at 06:24 AM.

If I'm not mistaken, the makerfarm 12 marlin, has the motor voltages set to 100 for the rambo.(i have the rambo)...the marlin fork has them set to 135. Could be why your motor is getting hot.

Technologist
    This is what I see.
    // Motor Current setting (Only functional when motor driver current ref pins are connected to a digital trimpot on supported boards)
    #define DIGIPOT_MOTOR_CURRENT {135,135,135,135,135} // Values 0-255 (RAMBO 135 = ~0.75A, 185 = ~1A)
    So should i change them all to 100. Am posting my configuration_adv.h

Going back I download the makerfarm configured files. And this is what it said's.

// Motor Current setting (Only functional when motor driver current ref pins are connected to a digital trimpot on supported boards)#define DIGIPOT_MOTOR_CURRENT {100,100,100,100,100} // Values 0-255 (RAMBO 135 = ~0.75A, 185 = ~1A)
    So it is configure to 100. Am going to make the changes and see if that helps. All I did was make changes to the configuration.h files. Let's see what else am missing. Ill post the result later today around 7 Pm Easter on my way to work right now. Thanks @voodoo28 for leading me that way. Lets hope this fixes it.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo28 View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the makerfarm 12 marlin, has the motor voltages set to 100 for the rambo.(i have the rambo)...the marlin fork has them set to 135. Could be why your motor is getting hot.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by rhonal89; 04-20-2015 at 06:47 AM.

Senior Engineer
    The general rule is that the motor current should be set to a minimum while still allowing you to do everything you want with it.

The lower the current the cooler the motor but the lower the acceleration and speed that is possible and vice versa.

Yes if you compare the original Marlin from Makerfarm, they are all set 100,100,100,100,100. At least mine was at the time i Loaded it.

Quote Originally Posted by rhonal89 View Post
    This is what I see.
    // Motor Current setting (Only functional when motor driver current ref pins are connected to a digital trimpot on supported boards)
    #define DIGIPOT_MOTOR_CURRENT {135,135,135,135,135} // Values 0-255 (RAMBO 135 = ~0.75A, 185 = ~1A)
    So should i change them all to 100. Am posting my configuration_adv.h

Going back I download the makerfarm configured files. And this is what it said's.

// Motor Current setting (Only functional when motor driver current ref pins are connected to a digital trimpot on supported boards)#define DIGIPOT_MOTOR_CURRENT {100,100,100,100,100} // Values 0-255 (RAMBO 135 = ~0.75A, 185 = ~1A)
    So it is configure to 100. Am going to make the changes and see if that helps. All I did was make changes to the configuration.h files. Let's see what else am missing. Ill post the result later today around 7 Pm Easter on my way to work right now. Thanks @voodoo28 for leading me that way. Lets hope this fixes it.

Technologist
    Ok. it seem that worked. But now I have another problem. When my rambo board makes that clicking sound you hear like click my servo arm moves up to the point that it hits and it can't move any more but still does it. It happens every 2 minutes I think. What could it be.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo28 View Post
    Yes if you compare the original Marlin from Makerfarm, they are all set 100,100,100,100,100. At least mine was at the time i Loaded it.

Try to isolate the servo wires away from the motor wires. What brand servo did you use? I chose to go with a higher brand servo (hitec) for that reason. I feel the better servos have higher quality shielding. On my rambo board im using Pin 22
    Last edited by voodoo28; 04-21-2015 at 07:32 AM.