Close

Technician

Talking First print underway!

Still need to clean up the wires, but the test cube is currently in progress.

IMG_1684.jpgIMG_1685.jpg

Technician
    I like the stain!

Engineer-in-Training TopJimmyCooks's Avatar
    got a steampunk vibe.

Technologist
    Add usarmyaircav on Google+ Add usarmyaircav on Thingiverse
    yeah nice stain, wishing I would have done that.

Technician
    Thanks for the complements, the stain is a stain/poly premix in the cabernet color with two coats applied. The stain was a double edged sword: 1) for the wood pieces I popped out first, I later had to sand/route out the stain to fit together. And 2) the items that I didn't pop out became extremely difficult to separate after the stain dried. See pic for details.
    IMG_1529.jpg

Technician
    The cube came out pretty well for a first print I think! I didn't use hairspray or anything, printed at 225c and 70c bed temps. I think I will try lowering the temp to 210 for my next attempt. I had a little bit of warping on the bottom of the cube, which I think caused the "waves" seen on one side. The top looks like there is some sagging, maybe caused by too high temps?

IMG_1698.jpgIMG_1697.jpgIMG_1696.jpg

Technologist
    Thx for sharing this. The results look worth the trouble.

I'll be making a trip to the hardware store tomorrow to pick out some kind of stain and seal. Might have something in storage, but it's OLD.

I'm taking a page from your book in that I'll try finishing the parts after they're popped out, but will do it incrementally as I progress through each assy section. Will probably stain and seal separately, with only a single coat of the seal..., a thin one .

I'm not in a super big hurry since I have some other projects that need to get completed before the printer has a permanent location in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by dustmann View Post
    Thanks for the complements, the stain is a stain/poly premix in the cabernet color with two coats applied. The stain was a double edged sword: 1) for the wood pieces I popped out first, I later had to sand/route out the stain to fit together. And 2) the items that I didn't pop out became extremely difficult to separate after the stain dried. See pic for details.