Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I read an article on some online journal. Last summer, they had this event in town and one 3D printing lab put up a workshop to showcase a few different printers. I was fascinated to see not only plastic but also metal being printed. They had a prosthetic jaw up for display and some surprisingly big vases being printed slowly but surely. Some visitors were modelling smaller prints. Anyways, I asked a few questions and left the shop impressed. I tried to find more information and invested in a Peachy Printer Kickstarter to have at least something to play with myself.

Technologist
    Let's see for one of my engineering classes I took 2 years ago (Manufacturing Processes) my professor spent a day talking about additive manufacturing and he went on and on about 3D printing. He also gave extra credit if we went to WESTEC, so I did and ever since I have fallen in love with 3D printing.

I was in college for mechanical design and ran into an old friend I was telling about it when he told me about his homemade 3d printer. I started researching 3d printers and then found out my school had a dimension. I later got my own, a Form 1 and I'm hooked for life!

News article. Only thing of any worth I ever learned from newspaper reporter.

I heard it first from a friend who is an employee in a filament supplier company, 3d2print. He asked me if I knew anything about 3D printing, and I answered him with a puzzled look. So he discussed it to me, and I easily got interested to try it. My first masterpiece is a Lego brick.

Engineer-in-Training MysteryAlabaster's Avatar
    Follow MysteryAlabaster On Twitter
    My school got a Replicator 2 early last year. Now we have that and a 2X and I bought a Rep2 for myself.

Student
    My normal "day job", is as a project manager for an engineering firm. We do precision thermoforming with ABS and HDPE plastics (along with a few others).

At several points in the past we have outsourced a few small 3D printed/rapid prototyped jobs to other local firms that do 3D printing.

I started building my Reprap after realizing how much money rapid prototyping can cost. I was/am hoping to turn it into a side business of my own.

My machine is now done and works great.

Follow ralphzoontjens On Twitter Add ralphzoontjens on Facebook Add ralphzoontjens on Shapeways Add ralphzoontjens on Thingiverse
    In 1997, Alan Grant in Jurassic Park 2 3d printed a velociraptor vocal chamber so he could reproduce their language. That was when I first learned about 3d printing although it didn't interest me much since I was too enthralled by the dinosaurs since I was into that as a kid. In 2002, I started an education in Industrial Design and was introduced to a large amount of different 3d printers they had available in a company near our university. This also included an impressive looking LOM machine that could create large pieces out of cardboard layers, giving the final product a wood-like character. It was then that my interest was sparked, but it was mostly used in the design field to create conceptual and pre-production prototypes. The teacher there predicted that in 10 years (2012), 3d printers would be commonly sold as home appliances, so he was a little off but not far! A few years afterwards I started using the local 3d printer of the university (an extremely expensive Projet MJM machine) to create prototypes for my design work. Then I started using Shapeways soon after they launched in 2007. In 2012 someone I knew bought a Cubify printer for at home, and then my interest was sparked to get one myself as well. Which I have done this week.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12