Close

Technician

Where did all of the images go?

I am in the process of building my 12" i3v, and have been referring to a lot of the build threads here as I progress. I have noticed a lot of the images have disappeared in these threads, which I think would be immensely useful at the moment.

Specifically I am looking at how the endstops are installed, and was looking for others' examples of wiring. The routing and such isn't covered well in Colin's build guide, especially for the RUMBA electronics.

Technician
    3dprintboard seemed to have some kind of server meltdown a few days ago. it was down for a bit and then back with a really old backup before finally coming back for real. Maybe it lost the locally saved pictures in the process? I'm guessing the remaining pictures are newer or hotlinked.

Engineer
    My Y endstop is mounted near the Y motor, and its wires are bundled with the wires from the Y motor and left Z motor. My X endstop is near the X motor, and I run its wires through the bottom slot of the upper X vslot rail, held in place with a slot cover.

ABU, how did you change the Y endstop to the back of the printer? im sure its easy, i just dont know how
    thanks

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by jasay View Post
    3dprintboard seemed to have some kind of server meltdown a few days ago. it was down for a bit and then back with a really old backup before finally coming back for real. Maybe it lost the locally saved pictures in the process? I'm guessing the remaining pictures are newer or hotlinked.
    I noticed that when i try and add an attachment/photo it shows my previous uploads without thumbnails..

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by dunginhawk View Post
    ABU, how did you change the Y endstop to the back of the printer? im sure its easy, i just dont know how thanks
    I unmounted the Y endstop from the T-nut, slid the T-nut back to near the Y motor, reattached the endstop switch, then flipped the Y motor plug on the controller board.

Technician
    Thanks for the feedback! I ordered a few m2.5 bolts to install the endstops similar to printbus, and hopefully I can get them all installed tonight. What is the benefit of having the endstop behind the printer? Does this change it from a positive max to a negative max stop? Any configuration changes necessary from the swap? Sorry if these are dumb questions, still learning (a lot) about the printers and how they print.

Engineer
    For me, with the X endstop near RAMPS and Y endstop at the front, set as MIN endstops, every print came out facing the back of the printer. I could have just rotated the parts in the slicer to face forward, but I chose to move the switches and flip the motor plugs to achieve the same without having to think about it every time.

No changes were necessary to the firmware.

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Yeah, like AbuMaia said, I moved the endstops around and flipped the motor connectors over to reverse the motor directions so that I wouldn't have to make firmware changes to move home from the right-rear corner to the front-left corner.

I'm sure the MakerFarm intent with home in the right-rear is that the extruder can be moved out of the way after a print by homing the printer. I accomplish that through a few gcode commands added to the slicer endcode instead of sending the printer to home.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    I'm sure the MakerFarm intent with home in the right-rear is that the extruder can be moved out of the way after a print by homing the printer. I accomplish that through a few gcode commands added to the slicer endcode instead of sending the printer to home.
    Yes, a G1 X0 Y185 in my end gcode moves the extruder out of the way and presents the piece for removal.