Close

Best 3D printer resolution

Hi,

I am a physicist and I would like to order a micro-structure surface so that I can study the physics of friction on it. The surface could be something as simple as a micro-stepped surface, the ones typically obtained when 3D printing layer by layer a tilted surface. But it is essential for me that the thickness of the steps are as thin as possible (preferably 20 um thick, 0.02 mm, and 10 um deep).
    As far as I know, the best resolution for 3D printers is 20um layer thickness and 12 micron XY resolution for the “Ultimaker 2”. This could print a fairly good 20 um thick and 40 um deep stepped surface. I have already ordered 50um-layer-thick samples (simple 2cm-high pyramids) but the XY resolution was not good enough.

Anyone knows a better technology (maybe resin-based), or thinks that can print this for me?

Thank you very much,

Trebor

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    yeah for that kind of resolution you'll need a commercial sla setup.

The best machines are currently marketed to the jewellery industry. Might be worth contacting any local jewellery makers and see if you can find one with a fairly new machine and do a deal :-)

Staff Engineer
    You might look at the B8 Creator; it's a DLP resin printer used by jewelers. From the FAQ on their site:

What are the dimensions and resolution of the build volume?

Build volume varies, depending on resolution.
    Resolutions in the x/y plane (horizontal) of 30, 50 or 70 microns are possible by adjustment of the projector’s position and focus.
    Resolutions in the z (vertical) build axis from 200 to 5 microns are possible via software selection. (The minimum z axis “step” size is 5.0 microns.)
    At the 70 micron x/y pixels setting, the build area is 104 mm (4.09″) x 75.6 mm (2.98″) x 203.2 mm (8.0″).
    At the 50 micron x/y pixels setting, the build area is 96.0 mm (3.78″) x 54.0 mm (2.13″) x 203.2 mm (8.0″).
    At the 30 micron x/y pixels setting, the build area is 57.6 mm (2.67″) x 32.4 mm (1.28″) x 203.2 mm (8.0″).
    100 microns = 0.1 mm = 0.00394″

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Thank you very much for your very informative answers. I will do some extra research!

Staff Engineer
    Sorry, that was supposed to be "B9 Creator".

Student
    Add kudo3D on Facebook
    Please check out our Titan 1, with a patent-pending technology, which is the only versatile high-resolution professional-grade stereolithography printer in the market for different applications.

Here is a specs comparison with other printers (including the B9 Creator):
    http://www.kudo3d.com/products/ (scroll to the bottom) If you have any questions, you can email me at catherinepark@kudo3d.com.

Trebor,

The SOLUS Ultra-high resolution printer can print really small objects. How small? Check it out.

DSC_3503.jpg

I'm sure it can go much smaller too. Our XY resolution is 25 microns and the Z resolution can go down to 5 microns with a heavily pigmented resin.

You can see more at www.reify-3d.com or www.junction3d.com

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by mongerdesigns View Post
    Trebor,

The SOLUS Ultra-high resolution printer can print really small objects. How small? Check it out.

DSC_3503.jpg

I'm sure it can go much smaller too. Our XY resolution is 25 microns and the Z resolution can go down to 5 microns with a heavily pigmented resin.

You can see more at www.reify-3d.com or www.junction3d.com
    AWESOME, I need me one of them

3DPrintBoardPro Member car3less's Avatar
    Follow car3less On Twitter Add car3less on Facebook Add car3less on Shapeways
    I am printing everything detailed on Form 1+. It has very good resolution and quality.
    Printare 3D Bucuresti

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. Arthur C. Clarke