Close

Technician

Manual bed leveling question.

So I am almost done with my build and have a question about bed leveling. Since all four corners have springs none of them are fixed, and if I choose one (say the back right side) and adjust the other corners using a piece of paper and the extruder head I still am not leveling off of a fixed reference because one z rod could have the nut a little higher or lower than the other so that when I move the extruder to the back left corner it could be going up or down. Should I use an actual level to level the bed and then adjust my left and right z rods to ensure that the x axis is level relative to the bed? Seems more like we are just assumeing the x axis is level and then we level the bed to it?

Engineer
    Using an object of fixed length (soup can maybe if you don't have calipers) level the X axis rails to the Y axis rails (not the bed). One you have the X axis level to the Y axis, then you can level the bed to the extruder nozzle

Just did that last night for the first time and thought about both the X rails not being level and the Z screws being set differently on either side. Finished up manually adjusting one of the Z screw rods to make the height of both sides the same using a digital caliper type tool against the X rails. I then used a .03 mm feeler to set the gap between the nozzle and the bed. I did all 4 corners, then checked the first one again and it was out so readjusted that one, the second one was slightly out, readjusted that and all was then good. Went ahead and printed, and was pleased with the results for a first print (pictures in another thread.
    Good Luck

Technician
    awesome, thanks guys.

I only use three springs with one corner fixed height with a spacer.

Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by AbuMaia View Post
    Using an object of fixed length (soup can maybe if you don't have calipers) level the X axis rails to the Y axis rails (not the bed). One you have the X axis level to the Y axis, then you can level the bed to the extruder nozzle
    Lego works really well as its sizing is consistant