Close

Technologist

Interest in printing with Nylon; can FF Creator X handle it?

It seems the extruder gets hot enough at 260C, but I see where all metal hot ends are recommended, and my X rebrand def has a (PTFE?) plastic guide tube.

I've also seen people say that doesn't matter if the guide tube is insulated from the extruder head.

Anyone know if the Creator X can print Nylon? It seems the Pro does have an all metal hot end.

Super Moderator
    Add jfkansas on Thingiverse
    I've used Bridge Nylon at 245, and it works great. I have ran mine up to 280 for several hours, but if you do that keep a close eye on the PTFE Liner. It will deform much faster at higher temps.

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by jfkansas View Post
    I've used Bridge Nylon at 245, and it works great. I have ran mine up to 280 for several hours, but if you do that keep a close eye on the PTFE Liner. It will deform much faster at higher temps.
    Good to know that it didn't catch on fire like some have posted.

How do you "keep an eye on it"? Does it start smoking? Or just smell?

BTW, what is Bridge Nylon? How is it different from Nylon?

Super Moderator
    Bridge is just a lower temp formulation by Taulmann.

By keep an eye on it I mean take the nozzle off and check the tube occasionally. You won't smell anything except the nylon melting.

Super Moderator
    Acutally it had been a while since I looked up the specs on Bridge. Most of the nylon from Taluman looks to print at the same temp. I think Bridge is supposed to be better at not absorbing water. Look for Taulman on the web, they have full specs of all their products.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    bridge is supposed to warp less and absorb less water.

There's no problem with printing with nylo from a creator x. Just remember you're printing with the least user friendly filament currently available.
    It will warp, string and warp a bit more.

I've succesfully printed very small items with taulman 618. Also got a roll of bridge I haven't yet had time to play with.

But if you can find a different filament to do the same job - that would be my recommendation.
    Avoid nylon, it's a real pita.

Super Moderator
    I had the best luck with a 80c heated bed using permanent glue stick. Less warping. This goes against the advice on the site talumann site.

hi, continue wtih this topic, I had issues with delamination, any suggestion? it seems 245 is low thanks

Technologist
    Quote Originally Posted by userksh View Post
    hi, continue wtih this topic, I had issues with delamination, any suggestion? it seems 245 is low thanks
    Higher temp is supposed to help with layer adhesion.

The higher temperatures required for printing with nylon may cause the PTFE liner inside of the hotend to produce toxic fumes, as mentioned here https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...ge/l4pln0nI8pI

Also, the plastic extruder carriage tends to warp with excess exposure to higher hotend temperatures. Many users who print with nylon and polycarbonate upgrade to an aluminum carriage.