Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    doesn't often work like that.

A lot of thingiverse designs are via openscad. And some people will post the .scad files alongside the .stl file. I don't :-)

And some people will post the files for whatever other cad package they use.

Desingning a phone case from scratch in openscad is pretty easy. But then that's pretty much the only cad package i use - so i would say that. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    doesn't often work like that.

A lot of thingiverse designs are via openscad. And some people will post the .scad files alongside the .stl file. I don't :-)

And some people will post the files for whatever other cad package they use.

Desingning a phone case from scratch in openscad is pretty easy. But then that's pretty much the only cad package i use - so i would say that. :-)
    So I cant extract them from thinigiverse to further edit? Damn
    So from what I get you are saying i will have to design the whole case from scratch to be able to further edit it?
    Thanks

not exactly.
    You can import .stl files into some cad programs - including openscad - and edit them like that.
    Different packages will let you do different levels of changes.

Also you can add things like text to a case from the slicer itself.
    Create the text as a seperate file and just place it on the case to form a single model.
    I do something similiar for text based keyrings. I've got a simple loop that i attach to names on the slicer bed.
    there's actually quite a lot you can do - with a little thought and application :-)

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    I think some tutorials on 3d printing and design are required here. There is no "best" software, it is what works best for you, your design style, your hardware, and your materials.

I'd say get yourself a good set of calipers and design your own if thats what you want.

Yep digital calipers are the most essential item of kit in the 3d printer's tool box.

Add Marm on Thingiverse
    Especially since "high grade" calipers are less than $20 on amazon. And since the accuracy/precision/tolerance (That's another thread!) of these calipers are within the limits of most printers, and even if it is slightly off, a little sanding and it fits, there is no excuse not to have some. IMO Calipers and a set small needle files are essential. And a good putty knife.

What Caliper would you recommend getting?Cheaper the better, but accurate as well!

These are pretty much what I have :-)
    http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Calipe...igital+caliper

http://www.amazon.co.uk/150mm-ELECTR...gital+calipers
    pretty cheap. But seriously useful.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 04-15-2015 at 10:08 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12