Close

Engineer-in-Training

Calibration questions

So I am having troubles getting things setup. I have calibrated the esteps to be 848 to get the length of extrusion correct. I then input an average diameter of the filament. I then used the calibration cubes to figure out the extrusion multiplier. I end up needing a multiplier of about 88%. I am still getting some weird clumps now and then in my prints.

I am getting a good adhesion and first layer with ABS.

I decided to switch to PLA to try that out to get less warping. Using the same procedure I get what I would say is a bad first layer. It adheres fine but it is very thin/translucent and squished. The ABS was fine. Is this just how PLA prints? It looks like not enough material is coming out but I am getting strings and clumps in my prints. I then thought the first layer was too low but I am using the same ABL procedure for ABS and PLA. ABS is fine.

Wish I had some pictures. I will see if I can get something printed up.

If the temperature settings for the ABS and PLA are different your first layer will need to be adjusted. The hotter the bed and tip are the higher i need to set my "z." I use Simplify3D and the ABS multiplier by default is set higher (1mm) that the PLA default (.90).Maybe this can help you out. Remember PLA is lower temp, start around 190 and see how that works, then move up by 5 degrees.

Engineer-in-Training
    Here is a pic of the artifacts that I am getting in my PLA print
    s.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Engineer-in-Training
    I have a suspicion that these are where the layer starts. Currently I have it set to Random.

Yes most likely... You could unchecking random..also lower print speed and perhaps set your retraction distance a bit longer..try 1.5mm.

If you have your E-steps at 848 and extrusion multiplier at .88 then you don't have your E-steps right. 848 sounds really low to me. After calibration I get 911.2 for mine. Be sure that your extrusion multiplier is set at 1.0 or 100% depending on your app. Then perform the calibration below:

Measure 300mm of filament from the top of the Wade's block and tell the printer to extrude 100mm of filament. Measure the distance to the block and find the difference. Use this formula to find what your E-steps should be:
    new_e_steps = old_e_steps * (100 / distance_actually_moved)
    This will get you where you need to be. Also I recommend PID tuning as well. Tom has a great guide here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APzJfYAgFkQ

swirvbox