Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bad prints

bad prints

hello im a newbe just got my printer last week. My problem is printing with the white abs filament that came with my ff creator, the blue abs filament print fine at 225 and 90, now when i print with the white filament the first two layer are good then it starts to fall apart 225 and 100 and tried 235 90. Also yes the bed is leveled every time I print. Thanks for the help

Interestingly I am having problems with the white ABS as well. My issues, however, are different.

The first thing I would recommend for printing in ABS is cleaning your print bed. First make sure you have no blue tape on the bed. Then, gently scrape off any bits of material that may be left from previous prints. Next make sure your kapton tape is smooth. Then clean the surface with some isopropyl alcohol. This will help to remove the residue from the blue tape, if you used it, or any other stuff that make be contaminating a perfect bed surface. THEN, try and print something in ABS. I have the Creator Pro and have experiment with 230-235 extrusion temps and 100-110 bed temps. I tend to stick to the hotter end and have had good results with my prints sticking to the bed. My issues as I mentioned above are different.

For some reason I can get midway through a 5+ hour print in ABS, left extruder, bed perfectly level, 235 extrusion temp, 110 bed temp, then all of a sudden it seems that material stops extruding and its just spitting out air. When I press up on the spring loaded lever on the side of the stepper motor it starts extruding again. Very frustrating, waste of time and material. I am in the process of troubleshooting with FF tech reps and so far they have guided me through the basic troubleshooting on their website and have provided no unique solutions to my particular issues. I have faith however that they will right my problems.

Also on a maybe possibly related note. If you look at the top of your print heads and see the half inch thick black plastic pieces that sits on top of your nozzles, it has the wire bundles going through the center of it. It acts as a squish plate to hold the stepper motors to the nozzles. I'm not sure if yours has the same issue as mine but the included black guide tubes for the PLA and ABS do not fit into the two holes that are drilled into this piece. This has caused filament issues for me. Disassemble everything and get at that black piece. Then use a screwdriver to SLOWLY and slightly widen the holes to fit the black tubes snugly. Take your time and test fit periodically. This should prevent pinching and issues down the line. THEN DOWNLOAD THESE UPGRADES:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:409297
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:416889
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:709578
    This is a new version of the caddy I have, I will be printing this one soon.
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:707971

Also what exactly do you mean by falling apart? Pictures will be of immense help in diagnosing your issues.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    I find white filaments need higher temps than other colours - I'd be thinking 240-245

this is whats happing and what you can't see its the filament stop sticking. temp 225 and bed 90

this is whats happing and what you can't see its the filament stop sticking. temp 225 and bed 90

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Okay delamination.

Print with less infill, slower and hotter.

Abs expands when hot and shrinks when cooling. So you need to make sure the layers bond really well. otherwise you get gaps like that.
    And the denser the print the more likely you are to get this kind of thing.

I'll say it again - you don't get this issue with pla :-) lol

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    I'll say it again - you don't get this issue with pla :-) lol
    And it smells better!

ok still getting brittle prints I'm at 80 hb 235 if I rase the heat bed the print comes off the bed. The brittle happens with my glow in the dark abs my white abs my red pla and black pla, my neon green pla and blue abs are the only good prints

Engineer
    I run my heatbed at 100, and print around 240-245 with ABS lately. Work's great sofar. Slow speed on the first layer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast