Close

Banned

RepRap Gear Arm Printer - 3X As Fast

Is this the future of 3D Printing? Instead of using the typical multi-axis setup we are used to seeing in virtually all other filament based 3D Printers, this RepRap, which actually was made about 5 months ago uses what they call "Gear Arm" technology to print out at lightning speeds (At least as compared to other 3d printers). The print speed is about 3 times that of the traditional methods. I would think that this could be the future of 3D Printing via filament. What are your thoughts? Are there any other examples of this type of setup being used? Rep Rap seems to be really making some pretty cool strides:

This is actually in real time! If this thing was on Kickstarter they'd probably bring in $1 million.

Hello. I am the creator of the printer above. It is a bit of a cheat to say that it is 3X as fast. In the video, I had the speed ramped up to 3X the default slic3r speeds. It is important to note that this is 3X faster than I normally print. The speed of this printer is nice but the strength of this printer IMO is its potential for self-replication. Check out http://forum.conceptforge.org if you want to see more info on individual builds or are interested in my other printers like Wally or LISA.

The design is certainly interesting, that first one, the GUS, what is the usual cost for the non-printable parts? My first printer is going to be an oversized mini kossel, but i was looking at building kits i could resell locally, this is certainly interesting.

Nice.
    Just one question though, how is the repeatability ? Don't you have play in the gears ?

Technologist
    Thanks for clarifying Nicholas and thanks for being a part of this forum! For everyone's information, the original Simpson won second place in the Uplift prize competition. Here is a link to some information about the Uplift Project: http://kprize.wordpress.com/2010/07/05/test/ Nicholas is a true innovator and continues to research and develop new printers for the community and the World.

Cheers,

KDog