Close

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Follow stridera On Twitter

RUMBA board shorting out

I purchased my Makerfarm i3v 12" a few weeks ago and set it up. I was able to attach the board to my computer via USB (Jumper on USB POWER) before hooking it up and program it no problem. I then switch the jumper to standalone and plugged it in. The display worked and the motors all moved correctly. However, as soon as I attach the usb cable to the board to begin printing stuff it shorted out and I had to get it RMA'ed. (It wouldn't turn on after that and even after disconnecting everything and returning the jumper to USB power the computer said the usb device was drawing too much power and turned off the port.)

I figured it was something weird with the board, but I just did the same thing with the RMA. Hooking everything up works fine. All the motors move, display works, everything handles correctly. However, the moment I hook it up to the usb port while it's on standalone, the board fries and now nothing works. (Hopefully I'll get another RMA. I would understand if they deny me.)

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? Are the RUMBA boards not supposed to be attached to a computer while printing? Am I supposed to keep it on USB power if I have the usb cord attached?

I really don't want this to happen again. Any advice would be appreciated.

I'm using this usb hub: http://www.ianker.com/product/68UNHUB-B7U The hub works great and I never have a problem with anything else. I've been charging my phones and tablets with it forever, and I have my webcam, mouse, and keyboard plugged into it. Everything works fine until I plug the rumba board in.

honestly, i've never heard of that happening, tsteever, and a couple others have a rumba board... hopefully they chime in... also i would suggest hitting up irc,

on freenode there is, #reprap, #marlin-firmware, ##MakerFarm, and #thehotend

reprap is a good all purpose channel, they can generally point you in the right direction or point you to who you need to talk to
    the others are fairly obvious other than thehotend which is a new channel that timmytechtv from youtube has started, still getting off the ground with only a few people in it, but they are fairly nice

Engineer-in-Training
    I had a weird power issue when moving back and forth between the ABL setup. It turned out I had the endstop switch hooked up wrong after rewiring it. You say everything moves fine until you hook up the USB? I do most of my printing through the USB port.

The endstop switches have a 3 plug jack that can be plugged in wrong. My suggestion is to check that the endstop switches are connected correctly. The only time that I had my board give me trouble is when i had the endstop hooked up wrong. I had the plug shifted down one too far. It was on the right set of jacks, just shifted so only two of the three pins were plugged in.

If it works fine and everything is hooked up right then I am at a loss. I am still learning a lot about this stuff. What kinda voltage are you getting to the board?

I have never had a problem with my Rumba board but I have mine directly connected to my PC with no hub. I would triple check all you wires to make sure that everything is wired properly. Then I would bypass the hub and hook it up directly to the PC. Could be the current from the powered hub messing with the board.

Engineer-in-Training
    Yeah, check the hub. I hook up my board directly to the computer.

I've followed the wiring guide. Colin from Makersfarm has been awesome so far in attempting to help me. I took a bunch of pictures and he says everything is setup correctly.

I have 12v running to the board. Everything is wired as the diagram suggests. Just attaching the usb fries the board. That' all...

Engineer-in-Training
    Even attaching usb directly to the computer? No hub?

Engineer-in-Training
    And when you say fried, as in ruined? My rumba just shut down. As soon as I corrected the endstop it turned back on.

Fried. Screen dies and nothing happens. After disconnecting it and removing all components, the first one said it was pulling too much power and shut down the usb port. Second one won't even recognize a device is plugged in. Very dead.

What kind of power supply are you using?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast