Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Printer Bed Adhesion

I couldn't find a method of creating a poll, but would be interested in seeing if there is any correlation between nozzle jams and the methods people use to get the ABS / PLA etc to stick to the print bed.

Would you mind posting your printing media, nozzle type/size, method of ensuring the print sticks to the bed, e.g. just heat, none, pritt stick glue or similar, hairspray etc and how often you encounter nozzle jams

Thanks Graham

Follow Davo On Twitter Add Davo on Facebook Add Davo on Google+ Add Davo on Shapeways Add Davo on Thingiverse
    ABS, .50mm and .35mm nozzles, warm bed and Aqua Net. Very rarely.
    Nylon (Taulman 618), .50mm nozzle, warm bed with fine sandpaper taped to it, grit up. Very rarely.
    BendLay, Flex45, HIPS, LayWoo-d3, NinjaFlex, Nylon, PET, PLA, Plastink Rubber, Polypropylene, PVA and T-Glase, .50mm nozzle, just the warm bed. Very rarely.
    Polyurethane, 1.0mm, 1.5mm, 2.0mm nozzles, warm bed. Very rarely.
    Clays including Precious Metal Clays (PMC), Plasticine, Play-Doh, Porcelain, RTV Silicone, Sculpey and Sugru (Rubber), 1.0mm, 1.5mm, 2.0mm nozzles, cold bed. Rarely, if ever.
    Polyethylene Glycol (PEG), various nozzles, warm bed. Rarely, if ever.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    never had a nozzle jam - tell a lie, had one - due to crud in the filament.

mainly print pla or pla based cold print (unheated bed) filaments.
    0.4 & 0.5 mm nozzle sizes, print temp between 195 - 250 depending on filament.

Bluetape for adhesion.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-13-2015 at 03:51 PM.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Mainly ABS but have experimented with PLA, FlexPLA, LayBrick, PVA, LaWood and a few others. .35 nozzle on Hex hot end, direct drive (Taz). PEI bed heated. Zero jams. Though I have only had the Taz a short time.

My problem isn't nozzle jams, its getting the darn prints OFF the board without busting them. The PEI holds onto ABS like a 3yr old with a sucker. I am trying to figure out how to make it LESS sticky.

Make the first layer nozzle height a little higher and it won't stick as hard.

Engineer-in-Training
    Add Wolfie on Thingiverse
    Will try that. Thanks.

Technician
    .5mm nozzle, PLA, on rare occasion hairspray, no jams to date with at least a few weeks of print time on my machine.

Hmm, thanks for the replies, no-one appears to be using pritt stick like me. Im wondering if after a few prints there is a slight build up on the nozzle that starts causing my jams.

If you want to improve the adhension, why not use the glue for ABS? If the temperature of hot bed is high enough, PLA can stick to the bed. Worst, you can also use the glue.

Quote Originally Posted by wenganxiang View Post
    If you want to improve the adhension, why not use the glue for ABS? If the temperature of hot bed is high enough, PLA can stick to the bed. Worst, you can also use the glue.

I dont tend to print ABS, just PLA with bed temp of 60 deg C. I find if I dont use pritt stick it curls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast