Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Technician
    Wow Colin replied in the time it took me to post the picture. He said as long as the wheels engage the aluminum extrusions im ok.

I've been looking at this same kit for weeks, and I'm in a surprisingly similar situation to you. I've got a nice tax return coming back, live in a very small apartment, and have a girl friend who isn't super excited about the idea of me building and keeping this in our home.

Let me know how your build goes, and how your relationship fares

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Roads View Post
    I've been looking at this same kit for weeks, and I'm in a surprisingly similar situation to you. I've got a nice tax return coming back, live in a very small apartment, and have a girl friend who isn't super excited about the idea of me building and keeping this in our home.

Let me know how your build goes, and how your relationship fares
    So far it is working out. We decided to put off the enclousre because we wanted to use the money for other things, I'm good with that because prevailing wisdom on the form is to get some usage experience before you build an enclosure. I have started my build early but at the end of each work session I pick up all the plywood bits and keep unsued parts organized. That helps my wife to feel like my hobby is not taking over our small apartment.

Technician
    Question around fan shrouds

I was planning on making clough42's hexagon cooling shroud with the rear mounted 25mm fan, but just realized that the fan that comes with the hexagon is a 25mm. In light of this I ask:

1. Is the fan and shroud that now comes on the hexagon hot end a good design (ie cools well and does not induce warping by spilling air onto the print)
    2. If the current design is not a good one, will the included fan work well enough on clough42's shroud or is there another design that I should be considering. I wan to do abl and eventually include a fan for cooling the print for when I print in PLA.

Thanks

Add printbus on Thingiverse
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtToe View Post
    1. Is the fan and shroud that now comes on the hexagon hot end a good design (ie cools well and does not induce warping by spilling air onto the print)
    Are they shipping with something different now? Pic?

I'll throw this option in the hat - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:693913. You can use the 25mm fan that came with the hexagon, and print the angled version that exhausts the airflow upwards off the print bed. Even if you eventually move to the clough42 cooling system, this is a better solution than the shroud my kit came with.

Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by printbus View Post
    Are they shipping with something different now? Pic?

I'll throw this option in the hat - http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:693913. You can use the 25mm fan that came with the hexagon, and print the angled version that exhausts the airflow upwards off the print bed. Even if you eventually move to the clough42 cooling system, this is a better solution than the shroud my kit came with.
    As soon as I finish assembly I will post a pic

How many hours do you expect the build to take?

Student
    I just built mine a couple of weeks ago, I used the hexagon fan shroud that came with it. I had issues with abs warping, then I turned the fan around and pulled the air and then the warping went away.

My girlfriend was not happy with it begin on the kitchen table. Its been there for a couple of weeks now and the complaints have lessened. I should probably think about moving it, but not sure where to. The build took me about 12 hours, but I'm slow and and like to over think.

Technician
    I have 4-5 hours on mine and I am at the point where I will bolt the aluminium rails on to the frame. I'm really shocked, I thought I would be pulling an all nighter to build it but have been enjoying the process and just working on it when everyone else in the family is watching tv or doing something else.

Draled, thanks for the info, I think I will follow your lead and mount the fan to pull air away from the head for now. I see so many folks mentioning problems with ABS warping, I hope I don't regret starting with a spool of that. I just figured I would need abs to print replacement parts.

Student
    LOL, I didn't come up with the idea of turning it backwards, I read it on another post and it helped! I haven't printed anything but abs so far and I have been really happy with it. You won't regret it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast