Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dual Parking Extruders.. Anyone see this?

This looks pretty interesting..
    https://blog.adafruit.com/2015/03/12...ay-3dprinting/

Could this work on our V Extrusion printers?
    Last edited by voodoo28; 03-17-2015 at 12:36 PM.

Senior Engineer
    That is just dumb. Why take from both sides of the printable area when you could stack as many as would fit at one side in a row.

This idea tackles the possibility of oozing and /or scraping on the print from the other extruder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    That is just dumb. Why take from both sides of the printable area when you could stack as many as would fit at one side in a row.

This video show a better view of how the carriage works.. See here . ...Magnet Driven.

Add gmay3 on Thingiverse
    Wow I've never seen anything like that before. It's pretty interesting to watch for sure.

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo28 View Post
    This idea tackles the possibility of oozing and /or scraping on the print from the other extruder.
    It does, how?

Engineer-in-Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjolinor View Post
    It does, how?
    I think the thought is that, the second extruder is parked at the edge of the bed until needed, so it will still ooze, but it will do so away from the active print. Of course, when the head grabs the second extruder it may still have ooze on it, but I assume you could add a small wiper on either side of the bed to clean them off...

Thats exactly what it does, if you watch Part 2 Video you can see where the extruder parks on top of a metal shield keeping it from oozing until it is picked up again by the magnet.
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMadRyan View Post
    I think the thought is that, the second extruder is parked at the edge of the bed until needed, so it will still ooze, but it will do so away from the active print. Of course, when the head grabs the second extruder it may still have ooze on it, but I assume you could add a small wiper on either side of the bed to clean them off...

You can see the shields in the screenshot

Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMadRyan View Post
    As it would if they were both at the same side of the bed. The stupid bit is parking one at each end of the bed and needing two pickup mechanisms. That removes two times the extruder width from the printable area. If they were stacked at one end of the bed then the pick up does not need duplicating and you only lose one extruder width from the print area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast