Close

View Poll Results: What quantity of 3D printer filament do you prefer to buy?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1kg spool

13 86.67%
  • 250g spool

1 6.67%
  • 10m

1 6.67%
  • by the meter

0 0%

Threaded View

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    Actually, as long as the price corresponded to the weight, 500gm spools would be cool as I could buy more colours for the same money. And that's still a fair amount of plastic.

Just as long as the manufacturers use 30mm holes down the middle. In the past I've made my own spool and respooled for taulman nylon. Cut out the centre of a spool of filaflex witha rotary tool, because recreus think 10mm is going to fit everybody's spool holders - oh really !
    Or like the poxy laywood filament, actually put the damn stuff on a spool, as it comes in a big tangled reel without any spool.
    That stuff is brittle as hell and spooling it by hand was a frigging nightmare.

So on reflection. I'd buy smaller quantities just so long as they were on a decent spool that doesn't cause me more grief than getting the filament to work :-)

So 1kg, 500gm and 250gm spools and 5 & 10 metre samples. 10 metre if you can only have one length.

I don't care if the spools are made of cardboard or recycled yak hair. Cheap is good, as long as it works and has a decent sized hole down the middle :-)

We were talking to a filament manufacturer and supplier at the tct show. He was using really narrow cardboard spools and we asked if he had a machine specificially to load them.
    Yes he said, it's called a lithuanian woman. Small hands and cheaper than a machine.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-14-2015 at 08:01 AM.