Close

Follow Eddie On Twitter Add Eddie on Facebook Add Eddie on Google+ Add Eddie on Shapeways Add Eddie on Thingiverse

Artificial Launches 'Art DNA' Service to Replicate Historic Art Pieces

While 3D printing has already come into play somewhat in the museum world of classical and fine art, there have still been limits in the abilities of especially desktop 3D printers in producing quality replicas of well-known artworks. Artficial is a new company looking to bring the duplication of artwork a reality -- and with the added twist of being able to make selected modifications -- through an online platform using "Art DNA" to ensure the best quality. The newly-launched Artficial website incorporates a database of spot-on 3D rendered replicas of art from various periods and cultures from Greek through Renaissance times. Options for 3D printing the pieces include using your own FFF-based desktop 3D printer or using advanced SLS or SLA technologies. Find out more about this newly-launched platform in the full article: http://3dprint.com/50515/artficial-art-dna/
    Below is a look at Artficial's reproduction platform:

Staff Engineer
    It's an interesting experiment in art distribution. Apparently you can stream one of their models to your printer if you're willing to register (I did) and install their app in your computer (I wasn't). You can also choose a size and color for a print they will make and send you. For the Putto, you could get an 11cm version for about 48 Euros (shipping not included) or a 50cm version for about $2357 Euros. So people who have always wanted a big purple putto for their livingrooms will now have a place to go...

Andrew Werby
    Juxtamorph.com

I registered and installed the Authentise App to stream an artwork in my 3D printer.. everything worked perfectly. It's great!!

Robert
    Attached Images Attached Images

Staff Engineer
    How did it work - were you able to save the STL file, or did it feed the printer directly, leaving nothing behind? Were you able to run it through your slicing software, to add things like supports or honeycomb infill, or was that all pre-calculated for the printer?

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

Technologist
    Follow raysspl On Twitter Add raysspl on Facebook
    I wanna test this out

Hi Andrew, in order to print a masterpiece, you must use the Authentise-powered streaming system for free and secure circulation of the 3D printable files (it's a small piece of software you have to download only once and run in background).

After selecting the print volume, you can choose your print settings from the same window...

Let me know if you still have problems, maybe I can help you out.

Robert