Close

Printing 1.75mm vs 3.0mm

Im currently printing using 3mm PLA and just wondered if switching my hot end and PLA to 1.75mm dia would help solve my intermittent nozzle jams due to less pressure required to extrude ?

Any thoughts on this ?

Engineer
    You actually put more pressure with a smaller filament and you also increase the shear force due the the viscosity with a smaller barrel.

What is your printer? Care to upload a picture of the nozzle?

Quote Originally Posted by richardphat View Post
    You actually put more pressure with a smaller filament and you also increase the shear force due the the viscosity with a smaller barrel.

What is your printer? Care to upload a picture of the nozzle?
    Hi, I've got an ordbot hadron with hexagon hot end 0.4mm with 40mm fan blowing on the fins.

http://ooznest.co.uk/Hexagon/Hexagon-All-Metal-Hotend

I'm running a bulldog extruder xl

The nozzle is brand new and the previous one is only 2 weeks old however had yo change it due to jamming.

Engineer
    What about filament? Printing speed configuration?
    Also, can you get a picture uploaded showing when your jamming?

Engineer
    Still, I am quite surprised they don't use any peek to insulate your hotend and instead use aluminium and fin. Maybe that is the problem? Maybe it still conduct too much heat despite the the fins and active cooling?

Anyone else can confirm? I've been using peek insulator all this time and now I am curious about your set up configuration. It might explain why the makerbot 5th gen jam terribad, because it use the same aluminium fin cooling instead of the peek.

Quote Originally Posted by richardphat View Post
    Still, I am quite surprised they don't use any peek to insulate your hotend and instead use aluminium and fin. Maybe that is the problem? Maybe it still conduct too much heat despite the the fins and active cooling?

Anyone else can confirm? I've been using peek insulator all this time and now I am curious about your set up configuration. It might explain why the makerbot 5th gen jam terribad, because it use the same aluminium fin cooling instead of the peek.
    It prints great when it prints but usually jams 3/4 way through. I tend to print at 0.1mm and it seems to jam on the infills - perimeters are fine.
    I've had some great resuts with the all metal hex, but when it jams its a pain. Doesn't seem to make a difference if I use slic3r or cura etc.