Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Print Speeds

Engineer
    White ABS from reprapper was reliable, I am happy with the result.
    Red PLA also works quite well under different brand and I had no trouble with the one from colourfabb, it prints really easily.

Thanks, I will have a look. I think we are probably a bit more limited to online store and eBay in the UK.

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    that £13kg pla isn't bad.
    I've got a roll of white that I'm using. For a lot of things it works just as well as the £18kg reprappertech stuff I get from 3dfilaprint.

Although I did print a twisted bottle last night with it and the lid just won't fit.
    Printed the same thing with polymakr poly plus pla and it fitted perfectly. That said I printed the cheap pla one with makerware and the polyplus one with simplify3d.
    For some reason s3d has started heating my printbed again - and I couldn't be arsed to mess with it.

But given the results I've had with the cheap white pla - I'd be inclined to think the difference was down to the slicing not the filament.

Loads and loads of filament supplier in tbe uk. Don't know what the guys I bought the filaflex from do pla for (checks) quite pricey.

3dfilaprint probably offer the largest selection for the most reasonable prices. ANd they area good company to deal with. It's an offshoot that does the filament samples: globasfsd.com
    Excellent customer service. The only minor Issue I had was buying three rolls of pla - one (black) came on a ridiculously large reel that just doesn't fit on the back of the flashforge. I just went down to the shed. Glued some chipboard into t shapes drilled a hole and stuck apiece of metal pipe inbetween - 10 minutes later a free standing reel holder.

Yeah i could have printed it - but sometimes traditional manufacturing techniques are quicker and just as effective. And a lot cheaper lol
    I might adapt the design for a printed free standing reel holder. Most of the ones on thingiverse are a tad over complicated.
    Last edited by curious aardvark; 03-08-2015 at 09:10 AM.

Engineer
    I swear it was $ and not £ in my head....

Nice thread, new member permission join this discussion

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    that £13kg pla isn't bad.
    I've got a roll of white that I'm using. For a lot of things it works just as well as the £18kg reprappertech stuff I get from 3dfilaprint.

Although I did print a twisted bottle last night with it and the lid just won't fit.
    Printed the same thing with polymakr poly plus pla and it fitted perfectly. That said I printed the cheap pla one with makerware and the polyplus one with simplify3d.
    For some reason s3d has started heating my printbed again - and I couldn't be arsed to mess with it.

But given the results I've had with the cheap white pla - I'd be inclined to think the difference was down to the slicing not the filament.

Loads and loads of filament supplier in tbe uk. Don't know what the guys I bought the filaflex from do pla for (checks) quite pricey.

3dfilaprint probably offer the largest selection for the most reasonable prices. ANd they area good company to deal with. It's an offshoot that does the filament samples: globasfsd.com
    Excellent customer service. The only minor Issue I had was buying three rolls of pla - one (black) came on a ridiculously large reel that just doesn't fit on the back of the flashforge. I just went down to the shed. Glued some chipboard into t shapes drilled a hole and stuck apiece of metal pipe inbetween - 10 minutes later a free standing reel holder.

Yeah i could have printed it - but sometimes traditional manufacturing techniques are quicker and just as effective. And a lot cheaper lol
    I might adapt the design for a printed free standing reel holder. Most of the ones on thingiverse are a tad over complicated.

How do you find s3d ? Is it worth the money in your opinion ?
    I've stuck to using Cura and Slic3r.......

Super Moderator curious aardvark's Avatar
    well given that I've got a flashforge creator. cura and slic3r are currently out of the picture.
    Rep-g lasted exactly one print, well not an actual print aftre 4 hours it hadn't sliced a fabshop articulated elephant so i never looked at it again.

Makerware works, but the way it resets the settings every frigging time you click any bloody thing is exceedingly annoying.

Simplify3d is very good. The prints are much cleaner and over and underhangs print without the slight curling you get with makerware (which catches the second extruder head and often results in failed prints).
    Going on the considerably fewer failed prints alone I'd say s3d was worth the money in the longterm just in filament.
    But it does slice very fast, print sharp and clean and does a lot of useful things no other slicer does.

I currently have two issues with it. Infill has to be set at 250% width for each layer to bond with the one below and I can't get it to work with my right extruder.

But yeah it's worth the money. And to put this into context it's only the second piece of software I've bought in about 20 years.
    Opensource rules :-)

I think speed matters a lot rather than resolution. You should take care of the speed of your printer.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by curious aardvark View Post
    well given that I've got a flashforge creator. cura and slic3r are currently out of the picture.
    Rep-g lasted exactly one print, well not an actual print aftre 4 hours it hadn't sliced a fabshop articulated elephant so i never looked at it again.

Makerware works, but the way it resets the settings every frigging time you click any bloody thing is exceedingly annoying.

Simplify3d is very good. The prints are much cleaner and over and underhangs print without the slight curling you get with makerware (which catches the second extruder head and often results in failed prints).
    Going on the considerably fewer failed prints alone I'd say s3d was worth the money in the longterm just in filament.
    But it does slice very fast, print sharp and clean and does a lot of useful things no other slicer does.

I currently have two issues with it. Infill has to be set at 250% width for each layer to bond with the one below and I can't get it to work with my right extruder.

But yeah it's worth the money. And to put this into context it's only the second piece of software I've bought in about 20 years.
    Opensource rules :-)

Great thanks - that helps as S3D unfortunately dont have a Demo version

Quote Originally Posted by MercedesStolp View Post
    I think speed matters a lot rather than resolution. You should take care of the speed of your printer.
    Im running my printer at 1800mm/minute, which I thought was quite slow at 0.1mm Res.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12