Close

Thread: Software help

Technician

Software help

If this is the wrong place for this, please accept my apologies and move it. If you move it, can you shoot me an IM so I know where it is?
    I ordered a Prusa i3v (10") Friday and am getting the final pieces of the puzzle ready. I need software, like a slicer program, right? What other software do I need? Lastly, I'm working on a mac, so I need something that is mac compatible.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi you need to perform various tasks :
    1/ Either download a STL model or design it. For that, there are loads of choices and I think it's not your question.
    2/ If you downloaded the STL model, or if your design skills are a bit shaky, it is recommended to check it. You can use meshmixer (free), netfab (free too).
    3/ You need a slicer to create the Gcode for your machine from the STL model. Free versions include CURA, Slic3r, ... I think they are MAC compatible.
    4/ Then use need software to send the Gcode to your printer. You can avoid that if you have a LCD interface with SD card reader but for initial setup and initial learning curve that wouldn't be a great idea. A free option is Repetier.

Or, you can replace steps 2 to 4 with Simplify 3D. It's not free but I really love it (if you're wondering, no I'm not working at S3D), it removes a lot of the hassles for you and the actual slicing takes minutes which is really nice when you do several iterations.

Technician
    Thanks Lambda.
    I do have an LCD interface with SD card slot. I'd love to simplify it with Simplify 3D, but I don't want to spend that kind of coin, ouch. For steps 2 and 3 you mention a few examples. Do you have any good/bad experience with any of them?
    Again, thanks for helping to get this newb up to speed. I think once the printer is here and assembled, these things will make more sense and come together for me.